Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2-man squads vs 10-man squads with multiple 2-man orders  (Read 1532 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2-man squads vs 10-man squads with multiple 2-man orders
« on: July 27, 2012, 03:17:29 pm »

After someone mentioned the ability to set multiple orders for a 10-man squad, I gave it a try.  I set a 10-man squad with 5 sets of 2-man minimums and compared it to a single 2-man squad.  While the 10-man squad split neatly into 5 training pairs, the 2-man squads still sparred a lot more.  The 5 pairs of the 10-man squad seemed to favor demonstrations, with only sporadic sparring, while the 2-man squad split their time more evenly.  The 2-man squad had better gains across the board, though the biggest difference was in the Shield skill.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
Re: 2-man squads vs 10-man squads with multiple 2-man orders
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 03:58:12 pm »

IIRC, sparring only happens when the skill levels are similar enough (or maybe it's just the fighter skill that needs to be?). If not, demonstrations will take place with the person with the highest skill being demonstrated leading. Squads of 2 or 3 tend to spar more due to needing less time to get similarly-leveled skills.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 04:47:46 pm »

What exactly do you mean "5 sets of 2-man minimums"?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 04:55:35 pm »

You can now set squads to have multiple orders in the same month.  For example, a single 10-man squad can be split into different activities, like 3 training in the barracks, 3 stationed at a far point, and 4 patrolling.  For my experiment, I just gave the 10-man squad 5 training orders that required 2 soldiers minimum to fulfill. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:57:44 pm by VerdantSF »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 04:59:41 pm »

You can now set squads to have multiple orders in the same month.  For example, a single 10-man squad can be split into different activities, like 3 training in the barracks, 3 stationed at a far point, and 4 patrolling.  For my experiment, I just gave the 10-man squad 5 training orders that required 2 soldiers minimum to fulfill.
Ah that explains it, I haven't actually played the last couple of versions and I hadn't heard about this before yet.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 05:28:49 pm »

After someone mentioned the ability to set multiple orders for a 10-man squad, I gave it a try.  I set a 10-man squad with 5 sets of 2-man minimums and compared it to a single 2-man squad.  While the 10-man squad split neatly into 5 training pairs, the 2-man squads still sparred a lot more.  The 5 pairs of the 10-man squad seemed to favor demonstrations, with only sporadic sparring, while the 2-man squad split their time more evenly.  The 2-man squad had better gains across the board, though the biggest difference was in the Shield skill.

True, but eventually, if your Legendary Champions live long enough, their teacher skill gets so high its very efficient to split them up and have them train 10-squads