Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megaproject: Cast Sandwich Tower  (Read 756 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Megaproject: Cast Sandwich Tower
« on: July 20, 2012, 04:12:52 pm »

I've had an idea for a megaproject.

Gen a world whose sky is 100 Z-levels, and embark somewhere that's frozen and thawed for about half the year each way.

Now here's the problem. I want to make a tower that is constructed as a "cast sandwich". This means that during construction any given cross-section of the wall is a hollow square, whose sides are 3 tiles thick, and a section of wall would look like this:

OIO
OIO
OIO

where O is a tile of obsidian and I is a tile of ice.

This would be easy enough if it were just a rectangular tower. However, I want to make it more like a pyramid, which means that it will be made of "blocks" stacked on top of each other, for 100 Z-levels, with each successive block being smaller than the last.

I obviously need to do the obsidian casting first, one block at a time. Now here's the problem: once I've built the walls and deconstructed them around the inner shell, I have to rebuild them to cast the outer shell- but then there's a wall between them, which must be removed to pump in the water that will freeze to become the ice. I could use magma-proof floodgates, but then I have to build floors, which I'd rather not do. So how can I go about this?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

mr_coolface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Cast Sandwich Tower
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 04:38:03 pm »

just pump directly into the project you dont need flood gates. your going to need to build casting forms then pump the magma in add water. remove the middle form add water let it freeze start the next layer.  also making the each layer one solid piece then mining it out would be a far easier way. 

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Cast Sandwich Tower
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 12:33:31 am »

couldn't you also just cast a nice cube and carve the pyramid out digging out the space in the walls into which water is pumped afterwards to freeze from the top down?