Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Toady's Sample DF Map with Overlays  (Read 2875 times)

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Toady's Sample DF Map with Overlays
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 09:17:00 pm »

All right, I have Toady's world map up at http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/  .  Très cool.

Working on getting the .xcf/.psd up now...

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 09:26:00 pm »

Must check out Atlantis. But it might just be a in tile island that happened to get a ruin on it. It is on all three maps. Isn't that possible? a one tile island is possible. There are other ones as well. So it isn't a large stretch for there to be a ruin on one of the islands. Great maps. Waiting to download to check them in more detail.

Edit: There is a cave in the east in the middle of the water. It would be interesting going out there and clearing out the cave. You would probably drown first but thats what mods are for.

[ October 18, 2007: Message edited by: THLawrence ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 10:15:00 pm »

The two caves I see in the east are actually on little islands in the detailed map (there could be another).  The ruin in the north is on blue in the detailed map.  Some kind of something somewhere.  Shouldn't be too hard to ferret it out.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 10:27:00 pm »

All done.  http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/

Made up a purty representation of the .XCF, which was actually the biggest time-waster over the past little while.  Took less than 10 minutes to upload those files and tweak the HTML; the other hour or so was devoted to futzing around with the image. ;-)

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 11:22:00 pm »

Fantastic.   :)

You guys want me to transpose the high-detailed new version over the ASCII map?

[ October 19, 2007: Message edited by: schm0 ]

schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 05:31:00 am »

You ppl make no sense to me.

;)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 06:12:00 am »

What is that kind of pinkish-grayish terrain around the mountains/snow? Is it mountain terrain? Is it walkable?  :D
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 09:42:00 am »

If I had to make a guess, pink is where the tree line ends and white is where the snow line begins.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>If I had to make a guess, pink is where the tree line ends and white is where the snow line begins.</STRONG>

I think so to, but is it walkable? Can armies traverse it? can you build fortress there?
I ask this because depending on the answer I might have seen some REEEELY good spots for a fortress, down there at the bottom of the map, some kind of valley that you must travel either water or that mysterious terrain to come to.

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 04:43:00 pm »

I imagine the entire game's terrain is walkable now (as opposed to former Adventure Mode which forebade travelling over mountains), but when you start getting into the mountains the incidences of ramps will be less and less (I figure), so you'll start encountering more and more dead ends and wind up having to backtrack.  When climbing is implemented, that'll add in an element of risk: sure, you can shortcut over the mountains by climbing them, but you risk slipping and falling to your doom.  Armies as a general rule would have to take the long way around, especially if they had any creatures which were incapable of climbing.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 05:37:00 pm »

I know it will be possible to go anywhere whit a flying or climbing or diging character, however i wonder if it is traversable by armies and unaided, walking adventurers, also if you can build yous fort there, considering Toady said that that impassible terrain, that is sea and mountains, is the only places you can not position your fortress on, but that might have changed, the armies are the most important to know because the places I saw was primely defensibly superior.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »

I don't expect you would get much trade or immigration, either.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 06:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>I don't expect you would get much trade or immigration, either.</STRONG>

Maybe, thats a problem, but I think I saw one place where the lake was small enough to bridge, so maybe... guess I'll have to wait and see.

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 [2]