Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 100-tick timer?  (Read 1881 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
100-tick timer?
« on: July 17, 2012, 05:51:25 pm »

So, I've looked up timer methods and have found out that pressure plates take 100 steps to reset, so most reliable timers are at least 101 steps. Then I found a 1-step timer, but I don't want to link 100 of those together to get a perfect 100-step delay. What could be promising is a nine-step loop (would be ten but there's a bit of a delay, right?) somehow hooked up to a ten-step counter-loop-thing that only progresses when receiving a positive signal from the nine-stepper.

What I really want to make is a day-clock with hands that display, and I have the display done, but this design loses one tick per hour, and I don't get the other designs so I just want to try my own with a 100-step timer as the base. (The display is just like the one in the link, but it's in actual colour. Getting enough garnierite for it was a pain.)
My wooden badge was delicious.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 100-tick timer?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 06:38:41 pm »

There is a thread from 12 to 18 months ago where someone worked up a series of rooms to weed out goblins that were too fast and those that were too slow, and ended up with one that moved exactly 10 ticks per tile.  He used that to run a goblin powered "clock" for various things in his fortress.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 06:41:34 pm »

There is a thread from 12 to 18 months ago where someone worked up a series of rooms to weed out goblins that were too fast and those that were too slow, and ended up with one that moved exactly 10 ticks per tile.  He used that to run a goblin powered "clock" for various things in his fortress.
I don't have access to goblins though (right now, only 40 dwarfs in this particular fortress) and I was hoping there'd be a nice mechanical solution. But that's very interesting regardless.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 03:02:04 pm »

:I Now I'm tempted to mod in a timer creature that moves at a fixed and convenient speed.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:22:39 pm »

Hum... After my Paradox Interactive games I'll have to get on to this!
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 05:51:02 pm »

Ah, that would be Nil Eyeglazed. Here you go!
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 06:51:56 pm »

Hum... After my Paradox Interactive games I'll have to get on to this!

Another victim to the horrors of the steam summer sale.