Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hauling to minecart instead of stockpile  (Read 2420 times)

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hauling to minecart instead of stockpile
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:19:07 pm »

Is there a way to link the receiving stockpile to take only from the cart/stop so my haulers haul to the minecart instead of hauling each item to the target stockpile individually?

I'm finding that sometimes my haulers would just prefer to go that extra mile in getting the goods to the target stockpile by foot even though my minecart is much closer distance wise.

Could this be because I was stuffing around unsuccessfully with multistop routes?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hauling to minecart instead of stockpile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 12:28:16 am »

Here's a theory (I haven't played the recent versions): have the cart dump straight into the stockpile, but set that stockpile to only draw from another one that's either not active or locked away. I'm not 100% if this would make it "exclusive" in the new versions.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:30:03 am by Reelya »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 10:51:54 am »

Carts take only from stockpiles linked to them. Make sure it's closest one to item source.
You can either dump cart contents or set route point to give items to stockpile.
You can set final stockpile to take from links only.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 11:05:38 pm »

Carts take only from stockpiles linked to them. Make sure it's closest one to item source.
You can either dump cart contents or set route point to give items to stockpile.
I have three routes on the one track, if i built a track stop to dump on arrival, would it dump the content of all carts on all routes? This is why I don't do the quantum dumping, but instead just set three route stops on the track. However, setting the destination pile to link only does not generate jobs to remove the goods off the cart. But not setting it to link only removes it from the cart AND generates jobs to pick it up from the starting stockpile which is the core of my problem.

You can set final stockpile to take from links only.
But I can't link to a minecart or a stop. How does this help me specify to only get from the minecart instead of going to the stop?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 11:08:37 pm »

DI said you can "set route point to give items to stockpile." shouldn't that solve it? Or doesn't that work with  the "only take from links" option??
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 11:15:14 pm by Reelya »

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 11:25:52 pm »

DI said you can "set route point to give items to stockpile." shouldn't that solve it? Or doesn't that work with  the "only take from links" option??

No there's two things happening here. In a route, you can specify that the cart will take/give to a stockpile, this does not affect where the stockpile can take from, this only specifies where the cart contents goes.

With 0.34.11, you can specify that a stockpile takes from a workshop (from anywhere or link only) however, either i can't find or there is no option to take from a minecart/stop/track stop/route so therefore the destination stockpile can take from anywhere, i.e it can still take from the source stockpile but if i specify it as only from link then it doesn't take anything at all.

I can do a quantum dump, force it to dump into that stockpile but there's two problems there.
One, this is a multi route track and i don't know if other routes will be affected by the dump, secondly I still don't know if the 'dumped' stock will be treated as belonging to the stockpile or will it be taken back to the original stockpile because the pile dumped into is 'link only'. I can test these two easily enough... i guess.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 11:28:54 pm by mordrax »

Roflcopter5000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 11:57:04 pm »

Hauling routes count as links. When you link the stop to the final stockpile, hit 't' to toggle between 'take from' and 'give to' stockpile 'x.'

Hopefully, knowing this, the rest of what you must do will become very clear.

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:11:38 am »

Hauling routes count as links.

I had my doubts but after toying around for an hour just now, I'm very happy to say THANK YOU guys! You guys were right. Linking routes to stockpiles does work with setting stockpiles to 'link only'.
My problems was compounded by other factors, which led me to false assumptions.

I still have a problem with a cart set to 'Move north immediately with 25% of desired items' if there are two types of desired items. In this case plump helms and cave wheats. If I set the condition to 25% of any items, it will create a job and move immediately.
Is this because it expects 25% of each item type? and since it's winter, there are no cave wheats even though the cart is at 100% capacity?

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 10:55:42 am »

Firstly, are you sure it's at 100%?  Minecarts have a MASSIVE capacity, it's unlikely that you've managed to fill one with cave wheat or plump helmets.

Secondly, if it's still an issue, set it to move North immediately after X number of days regardless of capacity and they'll move the cart
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 12:19:04 pm »

Yeah, pretty sure it's at 100%, i watch as the % next to the V goes up with each barrel that's hauled onto it.
I also noticed it with my thread and dye routes too now, and they are just single item piles. I have a 10x10 plot worked on by legendary15+5 growers year round so i produce plants in their thousands. The current workaround for me without setting the timer is to set any item instead of desired items which is fine because the source and target piles only accept the same item types anyway.