Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tips on "removing" Children  (Read 2694 times)

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tips on "removing" Children
« on: July 17, 2012, 12:50:22 pm »

Im tired of having all these kids eat up my artifact spots, so what are good ways of disposing of them? Using a danger room has been good in removing babies, and theres about 20 babies in my tombs down below, but children rarely walk into there. should I have a pressure plate connected to upright wooden spikes in heavily tavelled areas, or is that too dangerous to regular dwarves??

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on "removing" Children
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 12:55:50 pm »

Too dangerous to regular dwarves, I bet.

Open your units screen (or dwarf therapist), rename all dwarves nicknames to CHILD so they're easy to find. Build a tower 30 z-levels up. Build a retractable bridge. Link it to a lever. Burrow all CHILDs to the bridge. Pull the lever.

But what do you mean by 'artifact spots'?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 12:57:03 pm »

He means strange moods I think.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:59:22 pm »

Well, you *could* just set the child cap to the number you want.

...now that that's over with.

I did some experiments whereby I would lock all the married females in starvation chambers to regularly induce abortion, and for the most part it worked well. I ended up needing to put them into military squads though, with a defend point or whatever order, and there was a bit of micro in making sure that everyone was inside before locking the doors.

For immigrant children, I quarantine them in a separate sealed wing with the vampires of the fort, which helps a quite a bit. If you don't have any vampires, I'd burrow them in a special room, and have them deconstruct a wall there. While they're fastidiously slapping it with their beards (or whatever they do), you can atomsmash/drown/explode/burn/grind them into meat paste to your heart's content. If you atomsmash, I don't think they'll even cause negative thoughts, assuming you get a slab engraved... but the other methods are much more fun.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:00:49 pm »

Use a burrow, than atomsmash them.
Alternatively, give all dwarves hauling jobs and then set something to be deconstructed - kids take those jobs, and when it's next to a drawbridge... no more crappy artifacts.

(And the wooden spikes are a terrible idea. A menacing wooden spike is still menacing and will impale your dwarves as if you had selected a dwarf called Vlad as your baron.)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:01:23 pm »

Most likely. Children can mood like adults. Non-possessed children become legendary Stone-, Wood-, or Bonecrafters, since they never learn any skill besides Grower(and only if Everyone Can Harvest is set), and dwarves without moodable skills pick one of those three.

He probably wants a legendary Weaponsmith who made an artifact silver warhammer decorated with a metric truckload of platinum.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 01:06:27 pm »

For immigrant children, I quarantine them in a separate sealed wing with the vampires of the fort, which helps a quite a bit.
Yes.
If you atomsmash, I don't think they'll even cause negative thoughts, assuming you get a slab engraved... but the other methods are much more fun.
It will cause two, at least in old versions - "has lost a relative lately" and "had to endure the decay of a loved one lately". This might have changed though.
He probably wants a legendary Weaponsmith who made an artifact silver warhammer decorated with a metric truckload of platinum.
Not an artifact platinum warhammer that menaces with spikes of silver?

(Or even a lead warhammer that menaces with spikes of platinum?)

(Which is better for hammers, lead or platinum?)

(I need to stop using brackets...)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 01:07:26 pm »

as i understand it, so long as there is no corpse to be found (or alternately, so long as nobody finds the corpse), the child is never considered "dead" by the parents, but is rather only "missing". and for whatever reason, "missing" is not a problem at all.

so, for example, incinerating the corpse in lava before any other dwarf can spot it (warning: dwarves thrown in to the lava to burn may spot other burning dwarves; make sure you do it one at a time, and ensure complete burnination before adding the next dwarf) will make that dwarf be considered "missing". likewise, atomsmashing works (although on the other hand, if the dwarf has something in their possession that you would like returned, for example if what you're actually trying to do is remove a noble that makes annoying mandates and owns an artifact platinum hammer, atom-smashing may not be the best solution).

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 01:38:23 pm »

Yes, this is what I meant.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I have a lava moat, so Im thinking Ill build a bridge over it and burrow them onto it the n drop them. but how do i burrow specific individuals?

Edit:
Nevermind I found it.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 01:48:19 pm »

For immigrant children, I quarantine them in a separate sealed wing with the vampires of the fort, which helps a quite a bit.
OMG brilliant.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 02:29:22 pm »

I would lock all the married females in starvation chambers to regularly induce abortion, and for the most part it worked well.

O_O

Damn; and the day had almost gone by without seeing some horrible atrocity on these boards.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 03:47:34 pm »

I would lock all the married females in starvation chambers to regularly induce abortion, and for the most part it worked well.

O_O

Damn; and the day had almost gone by without seeing some horrible atrocity on these boards.
Yeah, that would have been a shame.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 03:52:11 pm »

O_O

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 06:23:34 pm »

For unwanted dwarves I set up a spike trap in the dining hall, restrict pathing to the tile the trap is on, then burrow all the unwanted dwarves on it.

You have to stagger it though, or all your dwarves will go batshit insane.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress