Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oops. A tale of woe.  (Read 782 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Oops. A tale of woe.
« on: August 18, 2006, 04:39:00 am »

So everything was going swimmingly (ha, pun!), and then suddenly I made a tragic mistake.

I had the following setup. Outdoor river diverted to the cliff. A particularly dangerous setup of floodgates.
Effectively, having one floodgate seal off my Fortress from the flooded area, and the other allow water into the farming rooms.
Each controlled by separate levers.

In madcap fashion, the levers were right outside the floodgate keeping the water out of the fortress, and my crazy need for efficiency forced me to, within moments of each other, order the fortress securing one to be pulled, then the flooding one.
Anyone see where this is going? If you said 'They're going to pull the second one first and totally ignore the initial command' you figured better than me.

Anyway, the ensuing flood flooded all my food stocks, and food preparing rooms. The dwarf who had pulled the lever stood 1 square from the lever he needed to pull to save himself, in 'winded' status. He kept cancelling his order to pull the damn lever due to dangerous terrain, and then he died, and nobody could access the now under-water controls at all.
Or, for that matter, my winter stockpile of food. Or the farm area. Or the graveyard.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oops. A tale of woe.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 04:53:00 am »

That's why I use a door instead of a floodgate to secure the fortress now. Because it has no levers to pull.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 05:09:00 am »

Same. Lots of doors!
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 07:52:00 am »

I had lots of doors to protect my fortress but I couldn't leave things well enough alone when my floodgates got bugged one spring.

I flipped the two switches as usual to get the water flowing, then I turned them off, but the water never ever left my farming rooms. Tried the levers again, no go. I thought if I let the water spread out a bit it might go away, so I hacked into it from a large side passage with the doors to my main fortress being securely locked. No good, the water seemed to thin for a moment and then became deep all over again.

So I saved, backed up the game folder, and cracked open the main corridor door that led into my farmlands. WOOSH. My entire fortress is soaked. In fact, the entire surrounding wilderness is soaked.

The worst part is, I just, FINALLY had some Nobles start showing up. About 30 minutes after most of my people died and I was waiting for my 'no path found' holdouts to either crack open their doors and drown or die of starvation (just wanted to see what it'd happen when all my dwarves die), I get a wave of *28* migrants. Among them, a sheriff, a broker, and a manager. The whole migrant caravan winds its way over to my fortress despite the water, and drown at the doorway.  :)

Howzat for a tale of woe?