Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with bins? (Seeds and ammo)  (Read 630 times)

chairo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with bins? (Seeds and ammo)
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:16:57 pm »

Hello! See the title!

My marksdwarfs won't use ammo if it's in a bin. They are set to use metal bolts for combat, wooden bolts for training. However, they will take neither, ever. I suspect this has something to do with bins, because they used to happily chew through my bolts. But the moment I started making bins, they refused to. Because I make metal bolts (and war hammers) out of silver, and bins out of lead, the production of metal bolts and bins coincided.

Additionally, I keep getting job cancellations because the planter dwarfs cannot find seeds...Even though I have over 150 Plump Helmet seeds. As all my seeds are in bags (and NONE of the bags or seeds are forbidden), I suspect their being in a container has something to do with it. I have not run of of booze, and the fields keep getting planted, so I assume they eventually figure out how to open the seed bags, so yeah.

For the exact seed message: [Dwarf name], cancels plant seeds: Needs [seed type].

Can anyone help?

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with bins? (Seeds and ammo)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:28:42 pm »

It's a problem with the hauling code. You get job cancellations for seeds because of dwarves eating your plump helmets and leaving seeds all over the place. Here's how it happens:
  • Urist McSlacker eats a plump helmet, leaving seeds.
  • Urist McGrower starts a "Plant Seeds" job, targeting a bag of seeds in your seed pile.
  • While McGrower is headed for the seed bag, Urist McHauler picks up the bag and goes to the dining hall (or wherever) to pick up the seeds that McSlacker left laying around.
  • Once McGrower gets to the seed pile, the seeds aren't there. The job is then cancelled.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

chairo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:35:07 pm »

Alright, makes sense. Also, apparently, only half of my marksdwarf squad actually armed themselves with bolts. So yeah.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:04:07 pm »

Maybe try using bins that aren't made of something ridiculously heavy, see if you can speed up the haul jobs.

If you're looking to use it up, lead is good for coffins (sarcophagi).  A fortress can always use more of them, and they tend not to need to be moved once they're placed.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:27:55 am »

It helps a bit to make extra seed stockpiles near your farming area with only seed allowed and zero barrels. Forbid seeds on all other food stockpiles. This way your dwarves will only carry around a bag of seeds and not a whole barrel with many bags.
You still will get some cancellation spam but it's better than without seed stockpiles.