Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant pile of rotting food outside a carnival tent  (Read 3426 times)

sisok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant pile of rotting food outside a carnival tent
« on: July 14, 2012, 02:39:02 pm »

So yeah, I dug down right on top of a slade fortress, and in my foolishness decided to tunnel over and cut fortifications to dispatch the rotting cats and aligators and such guarding the ledges, but I seem to have made a big mistake. I put a food pile at the base of the fortifications, as I figured my miners and engravers would obviously get hungry and thirsty, but not making them a dining room, they began to path upward, until they ran right into the undead cat that scares the hell of out of them.

Now, I got marksdwarves, but I messed up on cutting the right angle to shoot the little fucker. Sorry about the language but this stupid dead cat has caused me a good hour of headaches as I watch these dumb fucking dwarfs just loop up and down, back and forth, their hunger only surpassed by their idiotic drive to walk the same path over and other, up the scares to get scared then right back down and back again. I've forbidden all the dropped items, and started to conscript any dwarf trying to make his way through the hall. I feel like this problem could have been solved much easier, and still don't know how I'm going to resolve it. I could have a straight shot at the god damnned cat but NOOO, miners can't work there anymore.

ITS JUST A FUCKING DEAD CAT GUYS, DEAL WITH IT!@#$%!!!!!!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Giant pile of rotting food outside a carnival tent
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 03:26:59 pm »

while I can not be of help, I want to thank you for being entertaining

have you tried some recruits with melee weapons?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

sisok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 04:17:37 pm »

Not quite yet, I'm trying to figure out the best way to put build a staircase to the offending cat, as well as mitigate the giant rotting food pile fiasco. I swear it's still growing, there are still countless dwarves making the loop even after my first conscript campaign. I honestly worry that some may starve, or at least lose their minds. I think my only hope is to cut the stairwell off and isolate the location, but my liberal fortification strategy has yeilded a situation where my craftsmen move throughout in constant fear, while my marksdwarves still lack military effectiveness. Part of me wants to properly open up the cavern and clear the dead with hammers and spears, but I know the 21 corpses I see now are just the tip of the iceberg. The initial carving of the fortifications scattered the rotting crundles like, well, crundles, so they've got to be somewhere, massing against me.

Who would have thought an outpost at the gates of Fun would be so troublesome?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:44:32 pm by sisok »

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 04:30:09 pm »

"Gates of Hell" is a good hint.:)
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

sisok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 06:00:58 pm »

Yeah but my dwarfs should be dying from blood and limb loss, not starvation beside biscuit mountain.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 06:15:21 pm »

Tried forbidding the contents of the food pile?

sisok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 06:27:00 pm »

They are, that's what's so crazy about this.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 06:28:39 pm »

Put a food stockpile under any tiles with food on them and set it to accept from links only if necessary. That'll stop any more rotting.

Can't you carve more fortifications? Are those fortifications allowing a view of the dead cat to the other engravers? Maybe you could try putting down walls or doors, starting from outside LOS and working your way in until you can get at tiles that would allow a clear shot if carved.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

sisok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 07:00:27 pm »

Good look on the food stockpiles, it seems to have helped the situation as nothing this time around has begun to rot (I savescummed to an earlier point in fortification because, well, nothing sucks more than having your legendary weaponsmith starve to death when you have 2333 prepared foods stockpiled) but I still have yet to crush this cat. Because of a double-wide slade pillar I can't get a straight shot from the angle I carved in, now I'm waiting for my miners to dig out a tunnel from an upper level down. Part of me wants to carve fortifications there, but another part wants to forgo that and just dig it out completely. Hopefully the cat isn't that fearsome a foe, and after it's dispatched I can rebuild the wall or just leave it open, considering it's pretty much a dead end back into my own tunnel anyway at that point. Suffice to say I've been trying to deal with this cat since about 2pm. It's almost 8 and it's the 14th of timber. Winter is coming. The Goblins have been far too quiet the last few years....my greatest fear is that by the time I am dealing with this cat, I will have other friends to tend to upstairs...

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 07:31:08 pm »

I've never found a circus tent, but I heard the creatures there are almost husk-like in power. Maybe you should dig a direct route between the slade fortress and the surface, controlled by lever-linked bridges, and unleash the tides of rotting death upon the goblins when they come  ;D
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 09:19:59 pm »

I have another idea, based on the digging comment. Dig down from above just outside visual range of the cat, build some stairs, and then build a 10-tile bridge for marksdwarves to stand at the end of. The bridge construction will happen on the stair tile and so won't be interrupted.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

sisok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 12:55:51 am »

TAKE THE SHOT!!!

sisok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 01:01:25 am »

Marxdwarves are the biggest shill of the dwarfs....I set up targets everywhere....does anyone use them? I build nice fortifications for the dead cat...do they use any of it??? nope.

sisok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 11:17:09 pm »

At approximately 3am, after nine or so hours of frustration, the Cat Corpse fell. Reviewing the records, it was a conscripted surgeon who put the abomination down. However, the fortification food pile fiasco continues, the crundles and alligator corpse on the level above the cat make sure of that.

The unfortunate souls have hit their breaking point, as Armok finally blessed us with a green Christmas. A fitting conclusion to my earlier debacle, a majority of the visiting dignitaries were archers. Our principal casualty was Rovod, my legendary mechanic, and it seems to have stirred up a considerable conflict amongst the civility. A Dwarven Diplomat left in a huff during the battle, signalling the traders garrisonned in my courtyard to finally depart. My mayor, a victim of the carnival food pile fiasco, waits for me, caged. Another Dwarven diplomat skulks my pasture hall, a night creature of some sort considering its arrival was specifically announced. Nonetheless, it is the least of my concern, considering the fortress has begun to fear the other. Like petulant children, the carnival visit left those fortunate to go quite wanting, and now chaos ensues. I fear madness has consumed our city; dwarves chase one another with impunity. Unemployment has hit a whopping fourteen, and I am at a loss at how to quell the rioting. Armok help me, they're chasing each other in the blood soaked fields outside our gate. After spending so long in the shade of the carnival tent I figure the sun would be good for them...

sisok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 10:45:10 am »

The pack of war dogs tearing apart my novice milker...are they helping me? Rogue elements still stalk our grounds, attacking those foolish enough to try to work with their newfound crossbow skills...Is there any way to send my own military against them? Or am I doomed to watch these years of work down the drain, over a few bad moods.