Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feed/Water patient frustration  (Read 456 times)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Feed/Water patient frustration
« on: July 16, 2012, 10:51:08 am »

One of my best soldiers is in hospital with survivable injuries but it looks like he's gonna starve cause none of the fifteen or so 'no job' dwarves can be bothered to give him some food.  I have tons of food (several hundred prepared meals of every kind) and they are all set (as default) to feed/water patients, in fact everybody in the fortress is..

Blahh.. Am I missing something?

There is food, there are jobless dwarves, there is a clear line to bring the food in (in fact one person is eating in the hospital), they just aren't doing it.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feed/Water patient frustration
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:57:31 am »

Phew.. Finally, just in time.. He got some food.. But is there any way to keep this kind of thing from happening?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 11:02:29 am »

Sometimes it helps to wait till the patient falls asleep or passes out and deconstruct the bed under him. This can restart the recover wounded process. Does not work always, sometimes the dwarfs will just watch someone die and then be upset about it...

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 03:32:12 pm »

I believe the characteristics you should be looking for in a "nurse" are:
- Easily moved to pity
- Likes helping others

Those dwarves are more likely to make feeding/watering prisoners/patients a higher priority task.

In mid-sized forts, I usually have one "doctor" who does nothing but diagnosis (and maybe crossbow making or bone bolt making) and one "nurse" who does all the things like feed / bandage / surgery.  And any dwarf with the above thoughts/preferences ends up as a low-utilization hauler of food, which usually gives them time to tend to prisoners / patients.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 04:12:44 pm »

I keep feeding/recovering enabled on all dwarfs, as it is by default.
In my current fort I have also diagnosis enabled on everyone, but it is too early to tell if it makes any difference. So far all injured dwarfs have been treated, but that could be pure coincidence.
I think dwarfs that walk to the hospital themselves are more likely to fall victim to this, as are dwarfs who are injured out of sight and then not properly recovered.
If a dwarf is idle, he should carry out feeding tasks no matter if he likes it or not, but apparently this does not always work.