Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves just standing there, with plenty of jobs to go round.  (Read 838 times)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

Alright, so, just about all my dwarves are idling, all of them have all the hauling labors enabled, and theres plenty of stone to be hauled, and they just stand there with their thumbs up their asses wasteing food and time.

What the hell.

???
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves just standing there, with plenty of jobs to go round.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 08:02:11 pm »

Check your stone stockpile settings. If wheelbarror is set to 1, and you have no wheelbarrows, they will goof off. Either create some wheelbarrows, or set wheelbarrow to 0, they should start hauling.
 * Always remember, using foul language sometimes will get you no advice here. I used to work in a bar, so I am immune.:)
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

ThrashDorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 09:19:36 pm »

Foul language?  ::) "Hell"?

Anyway, it could be what Fredd said, or maybe you don't have any stockpile area free. Another thing to check is their happiness. The happier a dwarf, the harder they work, or so it seems.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 09:24:23 pm »

Also check that stone hauling is enabled in the Orders menu. It's unlikely you accidently switched it off, but ehh.

I used to work in a bar, so I am immune.:)
Asses? Hell? Was this a Mormon bar you were used to work in?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 10:29:55 pm »

using foul language sometimes will get you no advice here.

I didn't know we cared about swearing, considering all the horrible acts against nature we commit on a daily basis.

Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 12:38:09 am »

Horrific, deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

jabberwok

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 01:57:29 am »

I actually have a somewhat related, but more general question. I haven't played the most recent version, but I remember on older ones, I used to have a lot of trouble with dwarves idling, or even doing jobs other than the ones they were tasked with. I don't think there was any specific oversight that was making them unable to do a task, because sometimes they would and sometimes they wouldn't, without me changing anything. Even if they weren't eating or resting, it would just list them as having no job pretty frequently.

I was just wondering how normal this is, and if there are suggestions as to how to keep dwarves on task, or where I should look for suggestions. (I read a couple of tutorials when I started, so I may have seen some of the basic stuff.)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 02:58:57 am »

I didn't know we cared about swearing, considering all the horrible acts against nature we commit on a daily basis.

fucking hell yeah
seconded

besides, 99% of 10 year olds knows more swear words than we write here. If you want to protect the innocent, take them away from their parents after birth and put them into solitary confinement... sort of like in DF, but without fighting chicks and kittens
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

emailformygames

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 03:42:00 am »

fucking hell yeah
seconded

besides, 99% of 10 year olds knows more swear words than we write here. If you want to protect the innocent, take them away from their parents after birth and put them into solitary confinement... sort of like in DF, but without fighting chicks and kittens

But even if you take them out of their original environment then they make up new words... like what in the blazes would you think "box" meant?  Apparently it refers to something other than a box.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 05:56:16 am »

Alright, thanks for the answers and a few giggles, but if figures, about 10 minutes after i posted this topic my dwarves finally got moving again.
Ill look into the wheelbarrow thing.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧