Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first Roc.  (Read 860 times)

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first Roc.
« on: July 14, 2012, 06:07:35 pm »

I just ran into my first Roc.

I now fear those things more then ANYTHING ELSE.

It bit one of my soldiers head off (the militia commander, best trained fighter I had) and another had his arm bitten off (both were encased in steel). My military is so well equiped that in 20 years of fort time this is the first thing that posed any threat what so ever.

Hell, I just fought off 100 goblins with 50 soldiers and suffered 0 injuries!

Crossbow bolts are good at fixing the problem fortunately, then it got swarmed by every bear in my fort as they tore it limb from limb.

Did anyone else have problems with Rocs?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first Roc.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 06:14:59 pm »

Rocs? I just make mugs, pots, and furniture outta them. Compress the rest into blocks so they don't take up stockpile space.

oh. You mean the big-ass birds?

I've only ever had one visit a fort of mine. My marksdwarves shot it out of the sky, and the fort feasted on bird meat for the next year.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

DrunkenCaveOgre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 07:15:15 pm »

Rocs are pretty easy kills with a decent military. Try to get it into an enclosed area and be sure to send in your military all at once rather than 1 by 1. They could also be captured with a cage trap and tamed but I hear they can be easily killed. Just kill them for the over 600 meat you get and make a masterpiece roast out of it worth the whole world economy

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 10:05:33 pm »

Rocs are pretty easy kills with a decent military. Try to get it into an enclosed area and be sure to send in your military all at once rather than 1 by 1. They could also be captured with a cage trap and tamed but I hear they can be easily killed. Just kill them for the over 600 meat you get and make a masterpiece roast out of it worth the whole world economy

Easy to kill perhaps, but I was not expecting it to start tearing my guys limb from limb. Fitting that my bears tore it limb from limb.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 06:04:45 am »

Marksdwarves make everything better.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 06:45:56 am »

Easy to kill perhaps, but I was not expecting it to start tearing my guys limb from limb. Fitting that my bears tore it limb from limb.

Dwarves won't attack anything directly above them.

It's really weird to watch. You just station your melee dwarves outside, and they all stand there.
Then one just starts bleeding, and some limbs fly off ... then that dwarf goes unconscious.
Next dwarf, same thing, bleeding and de-limbining ... until finally you zoom-up 1-Z-level and see a bird just walking around of there having a party.