Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Materials  (Read 722 times)

adseculus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Just a bit of Fun
    • View Profile
Strange Materials
« on: July 14, 2012, 01:42:52 pm »

I have a fortress in an evil freezing zone and I have found a strange building material called Fiendish Vapour that looks like ice but does not melt even underground any ideas?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Materials
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 01:49:40 pm »

Are you using any mods?

Does it dig out like ice?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

adseculus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Just a bit of Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 03:04:43 pm »

I am only using dwarf mods, definately not material mods and it forms as a pick upable, I usually find it in my stone stockpile when my dwarfs see it first.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 03:49:28 pm »

It sounds like evil weather intersected with a freezing climate to give you solid chunks of procedurally generated atmospheric evil. Your vapour probably collected in pools on the ground or on creatures during an evil storm, then immediately froze solid.

In a word: AWESOME!

You absolutely /have/ to do science to this.  See if you can melt it in lava. Do it in an extremely secure area, because whoever inhales it will probably turn into a thrall.  It might also be interesting to open up the world.dat in that world's save folder to see exactly what this material does.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 03:57:05 pm »

It sounds like evil weather intersected with a freezing climate to give you solid chunks of procedurally generated atmospheric evil. Your vapour probably collected in pools on the ground or on creatures during an evil storm, then immediately froze solid.
Sadly it's just bugged world gen creating layers drawn from cloud materials. Regenning your world should fix it, but you can just do the better alternative and make a fort out of the stuff.

adseculus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Just a bit of Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 03:59:21 pm »

well the dwarfs are immune to syndrome so the thrall thing shouldn't be an issue and I will probably find magma soon. It doesn't melt while underground, I wonder how it will react to the goblin blood rain and snow I have been having...

What would it come under in the save, raw, unit, feature, etc?

I have started a new world and the dwarf traders are carring raw adamantine (YYYYEEEEESSSSS!!!!) and frozen creeping mist, again.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 06:00:54 pm by adseculus »

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 06:19:16 pm »

Oh yeah, that's just a bug then.  Too bad, I was hoping you'd discovered a new trick.