Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Reclamation. It isn't worth it.  (Read 10722 times)

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reclamation. It isn't worth it.
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 01:52:54 pm »

Seems like a bunch of these sites would make great donations to the adventure type players.  They are always looking for good places to snoop and running into a few FB might be just the ticket for them.  Maybe we should have a few purposeful failures and hand the reigns over to one of them?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 03:24:08 pm »

I feel that's the way it should be though: fighting off whatever nonsensical stuff the last overseer left you to deal with, whether it's gross mismanagment of space, or forgotten beast overload.
Except that there should not be an overload of forgotten beasts when the caverns are all walled off.  It's not as if they've come in through some hole you left open, or a locked door that became unlocked in your absence, or a floodgate that was destroyed.  They plainly and simply teleported in through solid walls.  All of them, and not at random.  That's intentional on somebody's part.
I -do- hope, however, that Toady implements varied embark sizes and options in time (I may be wrong, but I could swear he discussed adding this later for "starting scenarios" like a mining team, military outpost, etc.).  It would be nice to choose between playing a band of seven mad-dwarves off to reclaim a site against the kingdom's better judgment, and a war party of 40 of the King's finest meant to reclaim a true bastion of the civilization.
I also hope this.  I genuinely do like cleaning up messes.  I find hopelessness in a game to be pointless, though.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 07:55:16 pm »

Except that there should not be an overload of forgotten beasts when the caverns are all walled off.  It's not as if they've come in through some hole you left open, or a locked door that became unlocked in your absence, or a floodgate that was destroyed.  They plainly and simply teleported in through solid walls.  All of them, and not at random.  That's intentional on somebody's part.
That's.. weird. I haven't had to deal with FB rampages yet.. and I did wall the caverns off. Although the goblins siegers teleported into the fort proper and turned friendly until the first siege turned up.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 11:35:12 pm »

is there a way of starting with more than 7 dwarfs so I can have the mountainhome sernd a large armed bunch of nutters to clear out the place.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 08:47:11 am »

Guys, I'm a bit of a lurker here, but I got to say, reclaiming IS worth it if it's not too bad. if it is, go in adventure mode with 20 followers or so and clear it out. the cleaning up is bad, sure, and it may not be worth it if the fort is too big. but if you lost it in the first 2-3 years, which happens a lot to me, then reclaiming it could actually work. Three of my best forts ever were reclaims of forts that died out right before they were about to really take off.

I recall one fort I had that was re-embarked not once, BUT TWICE. Eventually it was overrun by two or three forgotten beasts, and it killed a ton of adventureres and dwarf military teams before they were eventually slain. Every once in a while I'd go for it, but it felt like it added to the lore. Once I visited it 20 years later after it's last abandon, and by golly, I wouldn't reclaim it then it was so run-down, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't do so otherwise.

Also use advanced world gen parameters and set embark points to max so you can bring better gear for these kinds of situations.  ;D

I reclaimed a fort that fell to a zombie siege. 4 embarks slaughtered by zombies, berserk miners and ghosts later, I finally got a foothold.

Then more necromancers came. Hundreds of bodies outside. Years of being trapped underground by endless hordes of zombies. It's a miracle that we survived. We thrived and created a military that could fight tens, hundreds of zombies! Nothing would stop them!

Then some workers and babies were killed in the caverns. TANTRUM SPIRAL.

Wow... epic.

However a baby/cat dup hold a special place in my heart for managing to survive a fightwith the FB , injuring it, then crawl off wounded to hide.

Epic as well.
But I can't find any pleasure in the new version of DF reclamation, with the lack of manpower and supplies to overcome the combined forces of all of the enemies on the map when you left, including ones that could not have gotten into the fortress without teleporting.  Being forced to fight three FBs at once, with seven barely trained and ill-equipped Dwarves, just smacks of punishment for not having played the game according to someone else's plan.

A legendary adventurer backed up by 20-30 soldiers might do the job though, let your men take the brunt while you go from behind. Kill, rinse, repeat. Leave, retire, then reclaim.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 11:27:07 am »

And if your adventurer is part of the correct civilization, after retiring you could get him as a migrant.  He won't have his gear from adventure mode, but he will eventually arrive as a migrant.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 02:12:32 pm »

I rather enjoy reclaiming. Remove all the worthless junk that's already in the fortress, and only bring useful stuff, like well trained dorfs, and good equipment. I usually use 5 ranks of dodger, and 3 of weapon, then 1 each of armor and shield user. That gives them the best chance to survive as long as possible.

Since it doesn't matter what the alcohol tastes like, brewing skill isn't important, and if the dorfs don't survive, it doesn't matter anyway.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 04:45:57 pm »

But I can't find any pleasure in the new version of DF reclamation, with the lack of manpower and supplies to overcome the combined forces of all of the enemies on the map when you left, including ones that could not have gotten into the fortress without teleporting.  Being forced to fight three FBs at once, with seven barely trained and ill-equipped Dwarves, just smacks of punishment for not having played the game according to someone else's plan.

A legendary adventurer backed up by 20-30 soldiers might do the job though, let your men take the brunt while you go from behind. Kill, rinse, repeat. Leave, retire, then reclaim.
That's definitely not worth it to me.   :P
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 09:41:05 am »

That isn't as hard as you might think, especially if you back out and save often, and kill the proccess whenever your adventurer dies, saving you much time.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 01:31:05 am »

Rereading this thread (especially the op) just makes me think reclamation is fun. I remember the forgotten beast scatter amping up the survival horror.

e.g.my second fort "reclaim the breweries, let's brew some booze" a minute later see a combat report. Skinless pteradon with poisonous vapors. Not good.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: 1 [2]