Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water Pressure Question  (Read 364 times)

hoover84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water Pressure Question
« on: July 12, 2012, 04:20:14 pm »

So I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for a while now, but I've stumbled upon a problem.  I am trying to fill some ponds down below the first cavern layer with water (for aesthetics mostly).  My question is, what is the fastest/safest way to do so.  I have a river several z-levels up at the surface, and a deep lake about 6 or 7 z-levels above my pond area.  Is there an easy way to fill this safely, or am I going to have to just drop the water in from the cavern lakes and close it off at the right time (before flooding the fortress.)  Any advice would be awesome.  Thanks!

Also, unrelated, I have a rather stubborn Champion.  He doesn't seem to want to equip a helm or a couple other pieces of armour, and setting specific pieces in the military screen isn't convincing him.  He just wears tattered clothes where armour should be.  Is there another way to get him to wear the proper gear?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 04:24:45 pm by hoover84 »

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water Pressure Question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:41:00 pm »

water that moves diagonally has its pressure normalized, so you can have a shaft for the water to travel in, and make the base of it have a diagonal breach.

At least, that's how it worked the last time I dealt with water;

What happens is the code for water moving locally looks at all adjacent tiles, but the code for water pressure(which teleports water at a higher location to squares on the same or a lower elevation) looks for paths only in orthagonal directions (that is to say, north, south, east, and west only, no diagonals)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!