Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The new update is awesome!  (Read 3082 times)

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The new update is awesome!
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:41:44 pm »

I played a terrifying map and got owned. It was so much fun. Only 3 of my 7 dwarfs survived long enough to barricade themselves underground. By the time they starved to death there were so many demons on the surface they could have taken out a caravan ::)

I tried to reclaim with 7 axe dwarves but it didn't happen lol.

I'm going to have to step up my combat game.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: The new update is awesome!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:14:32 pm »

Yes, it very much sounds like that is what you will have to do.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 03:38:26 pm »

if it's really hectic right at the start, 7 warriors are just going to get killed, fast barricading is the only answer, especially if you get mists that turn you into husks.

Maybe have 1-2 wardwarves hold off the horde while the rest dig themselves to safety, or get a flock of cheap 1-2 point critters and set up a shell of meeting areas around the starting area to slow down the zombies.

Channel around the wagon and collapse it into a hole to get your stuff off the surface, that's also quicker than walling, though you might lose a dwarf.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:41:13 pm by Reelya »

mr_coolface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 05:33:07 pm »

Channel around the wagon and collapse it into a hole to get your stuff off the surface, that's also quicker than walling, though you might lose a dwarf.
just use a support and a lever to drop it

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 05:55:17 pm »

That takes too long since you need workshops for that, etc. Might as well build the wall if you're doing that. The idea is to get your wagon goods safe before the zombies get in, on a dangerous evil biome.

Making the workshop, and 3 mechanims and designing(architect) then building the support, building the lever, then linking both mechanisms, and pulling the lever would negate the whole point of this trick.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 06:29:29 pm »

if it's really hectic right at the start, 7 warriors are just going to get killed, fast barricading is the only answer, especially if you get mists that turn you into husks.

Maybe have 1-2 wardwarves hold off the horde while the rest dig themselves to safety, or get a flock of cheap 1-2 point critters and set up a shell of meeting areas around the starting area to slow down the zombies.

The more animals you bring, the more zombies you have to face.  Those animals will just join the throng trying to eat your dwarven brains.

Two or three miners to dig a moat (1 wide, 11x11 square, then remove the ramps) and you are safe but still get cancellations due to seeing them.  Build a 10x10 wall just inside the moat and then your civilians can't see the threats waiting their chance to eat your brains.  Based on how this suggestion worked yesterday, remember to build a roof too, so the zombie barn owl men don't just fly over the wall and eat your brains. :D

Damn, I really want to try this myself now.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 06:41:53 pm »

Dwarves have brains?
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 06:44:26 pm »

They do!  Most dwarves use them for seat cushions, however.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 08:02:43 pm »

I hate you.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:05:28 pm »

It was quite terrifying (in my first 'Terrifying' biome, of course) when I first discovered that not only dead creatures (all hostile, friendly and neutral) throughout the fortress will come back to life, but also dead dwarves who have already been laid to rest will rise from the dead and attack your fortress.

My solution was to abandon the fortress and cry like a little girl

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 09:10:11 pm »

Dwarves have brains?

It's their version of the appendix.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 09:20:34 pm »

The appendix is part of both your immune and digestive systems.  We do more with our appendix than dwarves do with their brains.

I just tried a terrifying forest.  All was going relatively well at first.  Dug a two tile wide moat leaving a 19x19 area inside it for my dwarves.  While that was being dug out, one of my two marksdwarves ran north of the compound (pretending it was a military expedition) to bash a Giant Stoat zombie to death - he did it without getting hit at all.  He didn't shoot because I forgot bolts (doh!) and hadn't cut down enough trees yet (the other wood went to a carpenters shop, a training axe (they were left with the crossbow bolts, apparently) and a wall to block of the currently frozen murky pool I accidentally dug into.

I removed all the outer ramps to try and keep stuff out, and that seems to have worked.  Somewhere in there a nauseating ooze started raining.  This was, apparently, some kind of minor blister or blood agent, as the dwarves exposed (all seven) started bleeding a bit but not enough to show up in either the thoughts or health screens.  The miner moved to make an entrance down, while I queued up a few needed wooden objects.

Somewhere in there, the zombie crow men showed up.  This was probably the beginning of slate, about the time the snow, but not the pond, melted.  My two spears and two copper crossbow wielding militia beat down the zombies, and continued to do so for quite a while. But it was already spiraling down.  I should have gotten stuff underground sooner.  Somehwere in there, both speardwarves died, and hte rest were all running for their lives so I abandoned.

And so died Dyeraven.

Btw, two spears and two crossbows, with sheilds and mail (all copper) worked pretty well. It would have worked better with bolts. I only put two levels in skills.  My other three dwarves were a diagonstician/mason, a grower/carpenter and a miner/stonecrafter.  With slightly better embark items I think I might have been able to make it.  Of course, I got extremely lucky in that the weird rain only inconvenienced me for the three months or so the fort lasted.  I know it could have been worse.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 09:34:43 pm »

Dwarves have brains?

It's their version of the appendix.

Sigquote!

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.