Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New (?) hostile mob trap  (Read 1323 times)

Willadie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New (?) hostile mob trap
« on: July 11, 2012, 07:42:06 pm »

Hey guys. I came up with a trap that sorts out and kills hostiles allows your dwarfs and caravans to enter through a different path. The mob separation isn't my idea, but I have added a way that automatically kills invaders, even hidden ones. I haven't had the time to try it yet, though I made a picture to show what it should look like.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A: A chained animal that attracts creatures like goblins that can't pass through locked doors
B: A pressure plate linked to the bridge
C: A creature that is pastured in front of a fortification
D: A retracting bridge over a deep pit with upright spikes (Or magma :D) at the bottom
E: The pathway a hostile creature would take, note that it is 1 tile wide. Also, (d) (o) and (r)estrict the area prevent dwarfs from entering.
F: The pathway caravans and your dwarfs will take, note that it is 3 tiles wide
G: A locked door in front of a lowered bridge Just use a bride, a locked door would stop ambushes from pathfinding into your fort. Hook up a leaver to the bridge of course

It would be wise to add some bridges in the caravan entry way to protect yourself, and maybe a few cage traps in front of the invader pathway to catch stuff.
A bonus to this trap is that it can add pretty good protection in fortress dug into a mountain.
Any thought on improving this design?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:34:40 pm by Willadie »

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: New (?) hostile mob trap
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 08:08:35 pm »

I'm no good with diagrams, is this a side view or a top view?
My wooden badge was delicious.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:12:09 pm »

I believe it's top down. It'd make sense the way it's arranged. You can't have an animal hanging over a pit no matter how hard you try..... lost several cats to that one.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 08:21:20 pm »

Issues:

1. Enemies that target creatures inside the fort (all snatchers, for example) will walk in the caravan entrance.
2. Ambushers will ambush a caravan as it is entering/leaving, due to the proximity of the bait.
3. Won't stop kobolds.
4. Won't stop flying enemies/ enemies on flying mounts.
5. Animal gets shot through fortification.
6. Ambusher makes it all the way to the bait animal A and kills it.

Willadie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:29:15 pm »

Issues:

1. Enemies that target creatures inside the fort (all snatchers, for example) will walk in the caravan entrance.
2. Ambushers will ambush a caravan as it is entering/leaving, due to the proximity of the bait.
3. Won't stop kobolds.
4. Won't stop flying enemies/ enemies on flying mounts.
5. Animal gets shot through fortification.
6. Ambusher makes it all the way to the bait animal A and kills it.
1: You keep the door unlock, that way all creatures will go through there.
2: Even if the caravan is killed, who cares? This design is to prevent creatures entering
3: Yes it would? The cat would detect the Kobold then the cat would run over the pressure plate and make him fall down and die.
4. Yeah, that's the main flaw. I'm thinking fortification or no roof above it should allow you pick off the mobs left over.
5. Hopefully the creature runs fast enough to get out to sight, if not it's just use a useless one
6. Hooking up the bridge to a leaver might help, but as with the above mentioned it would be best to use a useless creature.

Willadie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 08:41:20 pm »

And yes, it's topdown