Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to hunt?  (Read 1409 times)

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best way to hunt?
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:29:27 am »

I can't seem to catch animals unless they are enraged and come directly after me. I've tried fashioning some sharp rocks, going into Sneak mode and getting about 4 or 5 squares away and throwing stuff hoping it hits. How do you guys hunt?

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to hunt?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:35:28 am »

Crossbow, get one in a fort, some bolts too then procede to hunt with it, pressing F to shoot. You'll probably miss a lot, but once you hit the creature will most of the time lose consciousness, then you just go closer and coup de grāce, or play with it(wrestling).

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:49:58 am »

Become a badass at sneaking, walk straight up to your prey, strangle the life out of it. Even just a skilled Ambusher will get up to most creatures, and if you're right next to them they'll attack you once you're spotted. (Possibly out of fear for their lives)

Kill, rinse, eat, repeat.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:32:03 pm »

Very related.

Sneak until you spot your prey. Then come out of hiding and chase your prey. Hamstring it, strangle it or stab it in the lungs. Then finish it off.
Of course, it helps to be faster than the thing you're fighting. I'd suggest fighting something slower like an elephant, but those take incredibly long amounts of time to bleed to death.

Guylock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 12:34:42 pm »

I can't seem to catch animals unless they are enraged and come directly after me. I've tried fashioning some sharp rocks, going into Sneak mode and getting about 4 or 5 squares away and throwing stuff hoping it hits. How do you guys hunt?

I do what you do, but persistently. Which works wonders once the rocks hit, I was able to KO sum and also crippled some.

Crossbow, get one in a fort, some bolts too then procede to hunt with it, pressing F to shoot. You'll probably miss a lot, but once you hit the creature will most of the time lose consciousness, then you just go closer and coup de grāce, or play with it(wrestling).

I'll take note on doing that. :3

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 01:58:13 pm »

I got up to legendary wrestler and fighter in like 10 minutes just by sneaking up to critters and bare fist brawling them.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 04:11:07 pm »

Generally I have companions - they like to run after stuff. They also sometimes catch up to stuff, which can be good or bad depending on what they are chasing. Usually once they catch up to what they are fighting, my character can catch up too.

A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 10:24:36 pm »

Just throw arrows and bolts at them.  If you chip a bone follow it and it will probably pass out.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 07:53:24 am »

I got up to legendary wrestler and fighter in like 10 minutes just by sneaking up to critters and bare fist brawling them.

WHAT? How? If i do this for myself, which creatures should I attack?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 11:31:44 am »

Advanced combat. Pinch off the smaller limbs one by one. Or just grab and release a limb. Any animal suffices.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 11:32:33 am »

Advanced combat. Pinch off the smaller limbs one by one. Or just grab and release a limb. Any animal suffices.

Only in Bay12 the thought of this does NOT make me vomit.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 12:38:17 pm »

What? No I just set my preference to close combat and repeatedly snuck up and attacked some ostrich hens. They are pretty big critters and show up in huge packs, about equal or lesser size to your adventurer. I tried doing the same thing to a camel after reaching legendary, that didn't work out very well and I lost a toe permanently after limping back to town.

You can also use smaller critters like ravens/eagles/turkey gobblers etc but they won't last as long against you.

I think ostrich show up in the desert or rocky wasteland. Not sure.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 03:02:11 pm »

This thread died over two weeks ago, but i couldnt help myself
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧