Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recruitment Problems  (Read 783 times)

TheWizardChrist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Recruitment Problems
« on: July 12, 2012, 02:18:43 am »

Hey, brand new on here and fairly new to DF. Took me some time to figure out the basics, and these forums and wiki have been an awesome community for doing so. First, let me say thanks, and then let me apologize if the following question exists somewhere else. I could not find anything on it....

So I started my first squad, and started recruiting. Using DT I sussed out immigrants with good military skills. When I tried to recruit them, there name would not show up so I could fill a vacant spot on my squad.

I was wondering what causes this, and if there is anything I can do to recruit them.

Thanks.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recruitment Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 07:43:10 am »

It does happen to me as well, so now I let the migrants in (unpause the game). I think they heading to the meeting hall, but not sure. Anyway, therapist pick them up far earlier than DF does.
Sometimes it's just me, scrolling around 10 times in the list and not seeing the dwarf name :)
After a week or so on DF I still have no clue about how lists are organized..
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 09:33:03 am »

Yeah just give them time to get into the fortress and once all the new migrants are in the meeting area you should be able to set them up as recruits.

If you're playing 34.11, and you have dfhack, there is a new "sort" command that organizes the unit list, and even some other lists, too. GODSEND!

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 09:38:39 am »

I think, while the dwarves have that flashing "X" on them it means that they are sort of still too new to the fort and once that stops flashing on them the should be able to "see" them.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 10:12:34 am »

If you're playing 34.11, and you have dfhack, there is a new "sort" command that organizes the unit list, and even some other lists, too. GODSEND!

Godsend yourself, toomanysecrets :)
I was just in need for such a thing.
This may not be the place, hacking TheWizardChrist topic and all, but now that DFhack is not hidden after me typing "ssense", I notice that when I used shortkeys (F3 to go to my caverns), DFHacks displays "Invalid hotkey command: 'caverns'. That's freaking, what if I nammed my dye shop area "die" (beeing alien to english and all)? That would have kill DF?!? Shall I learn every scripts and commands names before giving a name to my shortkey in DF?  ???
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 10:31:03 am »

Never thought of that, could be a total disaster. Personally I don't rename them unless I am setting up a "hack hotkey" but be careful!

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 12:00:58 pm »

Naming your hotkeys die or whatever anything else you can come up with is not going to kill your DF  ::)
Feeling down? Click Here!

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 01:45:29 pm »

Just tested it. Doesn't matter if you do it in-game, or with dfhack "rename." It WILL die if you rename the hotkey. Obviously, only if you are running DFhack.

TheWizardChrist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 03:03:06 pm »

Thanks, I was just wondering if there was something I could do to get some of these guys, like make em stronger with mining or something. Guys some Dwarfs just aren't cut out for the army.