Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best traits for Engraver?  (Read 1310 times)

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best traits for Engraver?
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:00:31 am »

So I have a vague memory of seeing a topic, which discussed the best traits for an engraver..

.. but seeing that I can't find that topic, the next best idea is to ask what they were, any ideas?

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
Re: Best traits for Engraver?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 09:04:45 am »

creativity and a good engraver skill will make the best engravings.
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 09:31:46 am »

creativity and a good engraver skill will make the best engravings.
This and being friends with everyone helps. A Dwarf with a grudge on someone will engrave pictures of vermin in their rooms.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 09:42:28 am »

The unhappier and grumpier the better. A few Fun events can also improve your chances of deranged and dwarfy engravings. As Loud Whispers said, having grudges leads to many interesting engravings. (ie: a terrified mayor being surrounded by mosquitos)

I don't remember which personalities cause which kind of engravings. (Is anyone actually certain of these?)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 12:17:52 pm »

I have it on 2nd hand info that traditionalists depict events from worldgen most often.  mb slayings and such, anything is nice to avoid the stream of your own noble appointments engraved all over the fort
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 02:44:39 pm »

I try to do engravings in small batches.  A row of tiles in this room, then go down the hall and do another row of tiles.  That tends to mix it up a bit as hopefully your engraver(s) will hear about more interesting things as the years pass.  They can easily smooth/engrave under already placed furniture (tables / beds / chairs / coffers / cabinets).

Now I'll have to scour my dwarves to see who is creative.  I've heard the bit about "traditionalists" depicting world events.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 05:29:13 am »

Yes, and it sucks to get engravings of elfs taming camels all over the place.  >:(

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 06:16:45 am »

Civilization wide-events might help too, either the ones you can provoke and those that happen in world-gen. Already haven't tested it (the fort is still alive) but my almost-extinct civilization is at war with elves, actually the only one in five to do so. My fort, that hasn't seen much fun in a few years, has a few remarkable engravings probably made by the aforementioned "traditionalists" in which several elves are slain by various Voracious Cave Crawlers. Curiously enough, those depicted murders happen only in the Steppes of Racing, which I assume (haven't checked yet) is nearby. There's also the appointment of kings and the usual stuff, plus rats and dimple cups made by really unexperienced engravers.

I'll try to embark pretty close with a different civilization at different stakes with the elves, and use some science to see if that happens again.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?