Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecart Challenges  (Read 1124 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Minecart Challenges
« on: July 09, 2012, 11:33:09 pm »

It isn't a part of what makes Dwarf Fortress the game it is until we've done three things:

Dissected it molecule by molecule, learning all there is to know

Made megaprojects out of it, just to please Armok himself

Built it on top of the circus freak's heads.
------

So we need to do all of this. I can imagine being just so ready with your one supersonic cart, tearing a hole in the big top's roof, and sending the cart down into clown town for massive carnage.

That, and I'd like to see other ideas for "megaprojects" and the like. For instance, making something in Fortress mode inaccessible without taking a ride (the most epic ride possible)  then tackling it in Adventure- I think DFhack can stop items from being thrown about by the angry wild badgers.

Such as a large pedestal that can't be scaled. After conquering the fortress, you find a minecart in the deepest part that can be ridden, then outright launched out of the fortress, onto the pedestal, where a prize becomes yours.

Basically, this isn't a "how to" thread, I've seen like three. This is a "what to do" thread.

------
Ideas so far:
Hallway to Hell
Make your main entrance super inviting to the goblins. Trigger a minecart to launch when they enter, and use the hallway as a railgun barrel.

Adventurer Secret
Pedestal or secret area made by minecarts.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart Challenges
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 11:48:08 pm »

Spoiler: real spoilers (click to show/hide)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 02:02:43 am »

Mr Bones Wild Ride:
http://i.imgur.com/0p51Y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9IcvJ.jpg

Duplicate that in Dwarf Fortress.

Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile:
Manage to launch a minecart up out of a body of water and into the air. Minecart must be "flying" before exiting the water.

Stunt Driver:
A dwarf rides a cart on a long parabolic jump through the air, and lands safely. Players compete to see who can jump a longer distance without injury. Share tales of disaster for laughs! The challenge is the "safe landing" part.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:28:47 am »

Make a minecart rollercaster that goes down through a candy tube and goes up trhough another reaching a secret chamber.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 11:06:34 am »

I built Hallway to Hell, but unfortunately accidentally set it off, killing my Mason, my Brewer, and my Hunter, and I was already low on food.

I doubt I'll manage to get to the HFS stuff anytime soon, I'm still sort of on the learning cliff when it comes to military. I've survived some smaller sieges, but only ever that far.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:14:35 pm »

Whale cannon.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 03:26:36 pm »

Flamin' baby cannon.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 03:49:17 pm »

Huskified flaming baby cannon.  With kitten bone minecarts.  And the babies are in elf leather sacks requiring a second tier launch wall.
Into THE CIRCUS!!!

Hey, if you're going to go at it, go big!!