Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bone weapons suck, but what about an artifact?  (Read 2874 times)

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bone weapons suck, but what about an artifact?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 05:45:52 pm »

Gold is the single worst armor material in DF.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 12:31:05 am »

What I want to know is, what is the metric and are there statistics that underlie that conclusion?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 12:32:37 am »

What I want to know is, what is the metric and are there statistics that underlie that conclusion?
The raws. But what about platnium? Surely it is worse then gold, being so much heavier.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 07:24:31 am »

Platinum is less malleable.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 02:32:30 pm »

AFAIC slade armour was considered overpowered.

I tested this myself the other day, masterwork candy sword couldn't damage slade armor. Although a hoard of zombies ripped the poor dwarf to pieces. Note that even with max skills the dwarf barely moved.

Slade is hard to penetrate because it has yield/fracture values as good as or close to candy, it's hard to say if the density actually factors into it. It might help, but density alone certainly isn't enough, as demonstrated by the terribleness of gold or silver armor - there are a lot more factors involved. Of course it's moot since slade is a stone not a metal, it was probably never meant to be turned into equipment - if it was, there'd be a metal version of it with possibly different stats (note that candy metal has different stats than candy ore, for example).

Sorry, actually on topic: it's difficult to interpret the raws, but bone appears to be a terrible weapon/armor material. A little better than wood, but nowhere near copper. The artifact bonus will make it good at hitting and deflecting, and it's probably fine against skin, but it won't penetrate armor. Note that most foes aren't completely armored, so it could still be effective at dismembering goblins (their arms/legs are usually exposed) - but a steel weapon can do that and penetrate armor as well.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:47:33 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.
Pages: 1 [2]