Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using vertical bars (or grates) as gates?  (Read 1491 times)

noushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using vertical bars (or grates) as gates?
« on: July 08, 2012, 02:58:36 pm »

Hi everyone.  I've been playing a week or so, and finally have some baddies caged up.  The natural next step is to build an arena.  Only, I'm having problems with using v.bars and wall grates that will open via a lever; I was under the impression that I would be able to link the lever to them, and by throwing the switch get them to open like a gate, like one would do for a portcullis.  The current layout is (simplified):

WBBW
B..B
B..B
WBBW

W = Wall
B = Vertical bars

With the lever linked to any one of the bars.  When I throw the switch, simply nothing happens.  I've deconstructed the bars and lever multiple times with the same result.

Am I simply misunderstanding how it should work?

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Using vertical bars (or grates) as gates?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 03:56:17 pm »

Works OK for me.  Does your lever actually get pulled?  If so, is the lever in the wrong position?  If you build bars and link the lever, and the lever is ON, then you throw it, nothing will happen, but if you throw it again it will be in the correct orientation and the bars should then open.
If you've deconstructed and rebuilt multiple times, maybe you're confused: have you checked it really is linked?  If it's linked and you try to link it again, then it won't be possible (i.e. to link the lever to the same bars twice).
If none of this helps, upload a savegame and we could have a butchers.

noushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 11:34:57 am »

Odd.  When I deconstructed and rebuilt the v.bars and lever, it all worked... twice.  After that, when the v.bar was in the open state it simply disappeared.  I was able to build a wall grate in the very same spot, and it appears to be working repeatedly now.  Very odd.  I believe that I do have a copy of my save from immediately prior to this testing, if you think it would be useful to upload.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 03:24:25 pm »

Odd.  When I deconstructed and rebuilt the v.bars and lever, it all worked... twice.  After that, when the v.bar was in the open state it simply disappeared.  I was able to build a wall grate in the very same spot, and it appears to be working repeatedly now.  Very odd.  I believe that I do have a copy of my save from immediately prior to this testing, if you think it would be useful to upload.

floodgates also seem to disappear when open. It shows that they are, well, open. They reappear when closed. Keep an eye on your doors, they're disappearing all the time whn dwarfs walk through
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

noushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 05:19:41 pm »

No, the constructed item disappeared altogether.  As in, I was able to build something in its spot without it being blocked.  Endlessly flipping the switch did nothing after it was gone.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 06:17:20 pm »

Were you using the arena? With trolls? They're building destroyers (some others are too), and will tear apart any bars/grates/other furniture and buildings they can reach.