Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will captured goblins breed? Are there female trolls?  (Read 1797 times)

Tres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will captured goblins breed? Are there female trolls?
« on: August 09, 2012, 01:49:15 pm »

I'm trying to keep a steady supply for live fire training and for the arena. Will captured male and female goblins breed? What about trolls? Are there any female even since all 6 I captured are male?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will captured goblins breed? Are there female trolls?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 05:33:33 pm »

There are female trolls but neither trolls nor goblins breed AFAIK.

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 05:35:41 pm »

If you and girl from squad were catched by enemies, will you plan making babes with female mate? On enemy's view?
 I don't know about trolls.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 05:47:56 pm »

AFAIK captured enemy intelligent creatures will not breed.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 05:50:08 pm »

I've never seen a non-female troll in dozens of fortresses.  I was beginning to think they were a one-gender species.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 08:15:32 pm »

it's been theorized that if you capture a married couple of goblins they could breed... It's never been done though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 10:07:45 pm »

I've looked at the relevant logic in an old version (0.23.130.23a), and there were exactly 2 cases for units becoming pregnant:
1. The (female) unit is a tameable creature (i.e. [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC]+DungeonMaster), there's at least one adult male of that species on the map, and the population limit for that species hasn't been reached (50 total, or more than 3 child per adult). Gestation time is 200000 frames (about 6 months).
2. The (female) unit is of your fortress's primary race (i.e. a Dwarf) and is a member of your fortress, has a (living) male spouse, and there are no obstacles (locked doors, floodgates, pits, etc.) preventing them from pathing to each other. Gestation time is 300000 frames (about 9 months).

I've checked this same logic in a more recent version (don't think it was 0.34.11, though) and it seems to be mostly the same (aside from the exotic pet logic, anyways), though I don't know if there are any other special cases (and I don't know how egg hatching works).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:10:09 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.