Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not collecting items on the ground?  (Read 2933 times)

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves not collecting items on the ground?
« on: July 10, 2012, 05:26:05 pm »

So I've run into some trouble. My entrance is in the side of a mountain, and I've walled off the entrance except for a 5x5 area where my trade depot was and a 3x3 entrance (with a drawbridge). My problem comes with the fact that my trade depot was destroyed and several creatures died in the spot. I changed the standing order to allow my dwarves to collect refuse from outside, but they still refuse to pick up the items that are sitting in the old trade depot spot, so I can build a secure trade depot. I even tried dumping all the items, but they still refuse. Even if I try to build a new depot over the spot, they still refuse. Any ideas guys?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not collecting items on the ground?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:36:03 pm »

are the items forbidden?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kingsdragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 05:47:40 pm »

Press K, move the cursor over the ground items. Check that it doesnt give you the option to (c)laim the item.
'She absolutely detests purring maggots' ~ Adrist Duthrom, miner

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:58:12 pm »

No, I had already checked to make sure everything was claimed. I'm really at a loss. It's a bit irritating because the only other spot to build my Depot is outside the walls, and that falls any time I am sieged.

On a completely unrelated "I'm so damn proud" moment, I survived my first major siege. About 100 goblins with various alligators and two cave dragons invaded my fort. I had built a main entrance hallway (with cage and stone traps alternating) and a drawbridge at the begining and end. Then I made a second, winding tunnel around to the otherside (with another draw bridge in case of an emergency). I let the invaders pile into my tunnels, only to be obliterated or captured (most likely to train marksdwarves later). Finally, they stopped in the tunnel, not moving forward (and not back either, as I had sealed them in). I was nervous about sending out my Axelords for the first time, but I sent them anyway. In about ten seconds, they killed fifty of the invaders, and not one injury or death. I'm so damn proud. Sorry, i just had to share.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 06:13:01 pm »

Hey, it's something to be proud of. I've yet to survive my first siege. For that matter, I've yet to avoid tantrum spirals from the bloody Goblin Snatchers. (Seriously, do ALL my outdoor dwarves carry an infant around with them or something? Is a dwarven baby among standard woodcutting attire?)

I'd be interested in the solution to this as well. My current fort is now at the stage where clothes are starting to wear thin, and my dwarves keep leaving their moth-eaten trousers and whatnot in inconvenient places. Do you have your refuse stockpile set to accept corpses and everything? In my experience, if a dwarf dies anywhere they tend to leave his bones sitting in that spot until I have a proper coffin available. The corpse of Urist McSentimental's favorite pet might also be clogging up the works, if none of your coffins are set to accept pets.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 07:01:53 pm »

Okay, it appears as if there was just so much stuff piled up there, that I had to claim some more of it. Plus, I just started dumping most of it to make them gather it faster. Now I'm curious if my dwarves can still collect dumped items if they need it. Anyone know? I have a five door sealed dump to keep the miasma out of my stockpiles, so it'd be nice to stack some of this random stuff.

Kingsdragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 08:15:43 pm »

If for example you have bones in your dump and they arent forbidden then yes, your dwarves will still use them. Also if theres items still lying around make sure your stockpile for that genre of items exists/is large enough(not full.)
'She absolutely detests purring maggots' ~ Adrist Duthrom, miner

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 08:50:12 pm »

Try forbidding everything, then claiming it all.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 12:31:14 am »

If for example you have bones in your dump and they arent forbidden then yes, your dwarves will still use them. Also if theres items still lying around make sure your stockpile for that genre of items exists/is large enough(not full.)

this. They'll just fill up stockpiles whenever space becomes available
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.