Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can Bronze Colosi (Coluses? Colosis? Coliflowers?) form Civilizations?  (Read 865 times)

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I recently cooked up a new world (as my last one was facing a terrible wave of reanimated... well.. everythings) and have been slaving away at forming my first fortress here. As some traders showed up, I decided to inspect my trade goods as usual. I figured I might get some nifty legend or story from it (such as the apparently charismatic vampire dwarf queen of my last world). So among the regular depictions of slugs, giant parrots, and the one single time one of my dwarves beat a goblin to death, I noticed something different. A clay figurine of Bomrek Skinbrave the Tusk of Goals. The description reads;
"This bracelet is a superiorly designed image of Bomrek Skinbrave the Tusk of Goals bronze colosus in claystone by Eral Ceroligath. Bomrek Skinbrave the Tusk of Goals is laboring. The artwork relates the settling of the bronze colossus Bomrek Skinbrave the Tusk of Goals in The Flickering Mirk in 1."
Now, most of the time these sort of descriptions are reserved for settlements and civilization's formation. So my question is, should I be sealing my entire fortress in a solid block of solid steel for fear of a colossal (ha!) invasion?

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Colossi  :)
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile

It's Colossuses in game, actually.

I don't think colossuses can form civs, but I might be wrong.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They don't have a entity as far as I can tell.  The bit about it settling seems to happen with all megabeasts when they choose a lair.  Check out legends, the first item in most megabeast entries are variations on 'soandso settled in podunka'
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

^
this

if you settle in or near the area where they have their lair they are also more likely to attack you. (plus you might accidentally embark on top of their lair)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well thanks guys. So far i'ts been uneventful. I've set up a pretty stable lair and dug down about forty levels and no problems so far. The creature does seem to appear frequently in Graydusk's works. It's even carved in the fishery wall now, exact same picture. So I'm going to chalk it up to an insanely popular campfire story until good old Goal Tusk decides he needs a new pair of dwarf skin shoes.