Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exporting world maps  (Read 1741 times)

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
Exporting world maps
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:59:34 pm »

I just wondered: is there any way to export a world map using the resolution of local maps?

This is the world map, the white rectangle marks the finished area on the second picture.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the area I have finished so far. But it is tedious, since I have to extend the embark location to the full local map (to get the proper colors), print screen it, cut it out in paint, then put togeather from piece by piece. There should be some way to do this, since the game contains all the map information as a whole. The resolution is much better, the forum just rescale large images.

Any help will be appreciated.
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Exporting world maps
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 03:32:35 pm »

That's... Very impressive. Sadly, I do not know of such ways, beyond maybe chartering maps via fast travel in adventure mode.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 04:43:19 pm »

Any other solutions?

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 06:55:41 pm »

If Legends Mode is an option, you should be able to export maps from there.  I'm not sure what resolution they will be at, however.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 07:03:37 pm »

If Legends Mode is an option, you should be able to export maps from there.  I'm not sure what resolution they will be at, however.

I believe it says press p or something, to export maps, from legends mode. However I was unable to locate where are these export, as the game itself does not indicate, that anything happened, after I pressed the correct button. Also I would appreciate it, if somebody could say, what format it is in, and how to use that format, to produce an image.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 07:31:10 pm »

I believe it says press p or something, to export maps, from legends mode. However I was unable to locate where are these export, as the game itself does not indicate, that anything happened, after I pressed the correct button. Also I would appreciate it, if somebody could say, what format it is in, and how to use that format, to produce an image.

Once it's been exported it's saved as an image file in your DF folder.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:09:59 pm »

Once it's been exported it's saved as an image file in your DF folder.

I have found it, but it only saves the as a global map (aka. not so detailed).

So is there no way to reach the local map data? It should be contained somewhere. And when we see local map as we scroll through the tiles of the world map, it is sliced up. However since the whole world interacts as a whole, I believe local map data ought to be stored in the files as a whole. Am I right?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 08:33:05 pm »

I've seen detailed map exports before, and even made them myself, but its been a while (31.18, iirc) and I think its only at the end of the world gen process. 
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 04:10:27 am »

The various detailed maps can be exported from Legends Mode by pressing [d].

IsoWorld is a utility that lets you view them in a very pleasing manner:

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 08:43:30 am »

Ooh nice. Checking that thread now in the hopes it works in linux.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 09:18:23 am »

The various detailed maps can be exported from Legends Mode by pressing [d].

IsoWorld is a utility that lets you view them in a very pleasing manner:

Thanks for you help, but when I mean detailed I ment larger resolution too. These maps have the same resolution.

By comparison: