Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor not working for me?  (Read 1751 times)

Herpaderpalerp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor not working for me?
« on: July 08, 2012, 12:14:29 am »

I have a couple of squads, one of which I have set to wear full steel armor (Breastplate, shield, helm, greaves, high boots, gauntlets) and a steel sword. But for some reason, they won't equip their Steel Helms. They equipped everything else, and it says that the helms SHOULD be currently equipped, but it isn't in their inventory and its still in the stockpile. I tried telling them to move and to go attacks some creatures, but they still don't go and pick it up before they move out. They can definitely get them, they walk past them all of the time. Any ideas? I don't want to risk anymore insta-deaths from head injuries.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Armor not working for me?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 12:36:28 am »

They may be wearing clothing that prevents the wearing of more gear - do they have caps or hats or something?

Is that ALL the armor that you intend to have the squad wear? Breastplates only cover the torso, and gauntlets only cover the hands and lower arms, leaving the upper arms exposed. Have them wear mail shirts as well to fix this, or prepare the hospital for armless veterans.

Herpaderpalerp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 12:53:49 am »

Yeah, they actually did have some hat-like(caps and/or hoods) stuff on. I'll try telling them to dump them or something.

Also, is chainmail really that effective? I never used it on my squads, but from what I know I thought it was for deflecting arrows.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 01:15:33 am »

You need to set their uniforms to replace (instead of go over) their civilian clothes, since that is the only way it works anymore. Might want to add a cloak and hood and maybe a shirt and trousers to the uniform too.

Vinedragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 01:24:51 am »

Also, is chainmail really that effective? I never used it on my squads, but from what I know I thought it was for deflecting arrows.

From my knowledge, if it follows how chainmail reacts in real life, it helps stop axes, spears, swords, and arrows. Anything sharp. Dunno if it follows that, however.

Herpaderpalerp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 02:00:42 am »

You need to set their uniforms to replace (instead of go over) their civilian clothes, since that is the only way it works anymore. Might want to add a cloak and hood and maybe a shirt and trousers to the uniform too.

Hmm... I tried that. I made some fresh chain mail as well, and it wasn't being taken either. Then when I tried to place it over clothing, and half of the chain mail got taken and half didn't. Still none of the helms have been taken.

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 03:15:11 am »

Hmm... I tried that. I made some fresh chain mail as well, and it wasn't being taken either. Then when I tried to place it over clothing, and half of the chain mail got taken and half didn't. Still none of the helms have been taken.

First assign chainmail, when all got that you assign the brestplates.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 03:31:25 am »

Chainmail (iirc) tends to absorb blunt attacks better than breastplates as well. Make sure the chainmail is assigned before the breastplates in the uniform, or else your dwarves will have trouble equipping them.

Edit: ninja'd

Herpaderpalerp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 11:50:26 am »

Okay, the chain mail is on now. Sadly, the helms are not. Is there a order for helms to be set up too?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 11:56:26 am »

Chainmail (iirc) tends to absorb blunt attacks better than breastplates as well. ...

This is not correct. The solid plate of metal is better at absorbing blunt attacks than a flexible sheet of metal chain.

Think of it this way: chainmail is like skin - when a hammer hits it, it is only bruised, but the bones underneath are smashed.

Also, go in the arena and smack people in the chest with both types of armor. You'll see something like this:

You punch Goblin 2 in the upper body with your left hand, but the attack is deflected by Goblin 2's iron breastplate!
You punch Goblin 2 in the upper body with your left hand, but the attack is deflected by Goblin 2's iron breastplate!
Goblin 2 punches You in the lower body with his left hand, but the attack is deflected by Your iron breastplate!
Goblin 2 punches You in the upper body with his right hand, but the attack is deflected by Your iron breastplate!

Goblin 4 punches You in the right upper leg with his right hand, bruising the muscle through the iron mail shirt!
You punch Goblin 4 in the lower body with your left hand, bruising the fat through the iron mail shirt!
You kick Goblin 4 in the lower body with your left foot, bruising the muscle and bruising the guts through the iron mail shirt!

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 12:25:49 pm »

Ah yes, you're right (assuming we don't get some form of armor damage in the future).

Herpaderpalerp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 03:02:21 pm »

They still refuse to wear their helms, already lost about 3 swordmasters to head injuries  :(.