Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Experiences and questions from an neophyte adventurer  (Read 1259 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Experiences and questions from an neophyte adventurer
« on: July 07, 2012, 09:08:55 am »

First, I'm just starting to dabble in adventure mode.  One of my first adventures followed the quest to an outlaw hideout, which turned out to be a shack in the middle of the woods.  I open the door and out pours a horde of human and dwarf zombies.  Not the outlaw I expected.  I did a pretty good job retreating, dodging and counterstriking, destroying one zombie and leaving a trail of severed limbs.  But one blow actually struck me and that was the end.

A string of early deaths followed (including a plunge down a shaft that led to the magma sea) and now I've defeated a ogre wife who killed me previously (I got to loot my own corpse).  One of my followers had his shield hand ripped off (okay, maybe not ripped OFF, but the ogre wife swung him around by it for a dozen turns).  Is it worth keeping him as a follower or should I replace him?  Also, I have a copper spear (and proficient skill) but I found a steal battle axe.  Should I switch to the axe (no skill) or can I give it to a follower?

thanks!
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Experiences and questions from an neophyte adventurer
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 10:13:18 am »

That "shack in the woods" was probably a necromancer tower, a death sentence to even the most hardy adventurers if they are not careful.

Followers are good for tree things: meat shields, kill stealing, and wildlife detectors. He is still useful. Should he die and night aproaches and you are nowhere near any settlement, head to the shore and sleep there as bogeymen cant get you there. If no shore, then stop traveling, enter sneak mode and run through the night.

Steel is miles better than copper. Switch, but train it up on wildlife a bit before using it seriously.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 10:34:22 am »

How do you train on wildlife?  Nearly everything is far, far faster than I am?  I've tried sneaking, but they bolt when I get close?
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 01:19:46 pm »

Find something that isnt faster then you or drop some junk.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 01:25:00 pm »

Also, try using macros to get 40 sharp stones and repeadetly trow them into the ground that youre standng on and pick them up.
Do this 600 times with macros (or so) and youll be a legendary trower.

Now try and get withing 6 squares of something and repeadetly trow rocks at it till it breaks a leg :)

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 01:37:37 am »

How do you train on wildlife?  Nearly everything is far, far faster than I am?  I've tried sneaking, but they bolt when I get close?
Horseshoe crabs, or giant sponges.

Just drop the backpack.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 08:48:18 am »

Avoid anything with hooves. Those things HURT.

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 09:06:43 am »

Hooves should be renamed Murderhammers.

Wolves, hyenas, even lions - no problem.
The first time you fight a giraffe, however... will also be the last time you fight a giraffe.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 11:01:24 am »

Start using the axe. Steel is awesome. But keep the spear for now, and if you can find a bronze, iron or steel one take that instead. Axes are great for lopping parts off lightly armored foes leading to quick kills or disables. BUT they are not as good vs armor or very big creatures. Spears are purpose designed to pierce deep. If you start having trouble lopping things off an enemy, stab it in the body or head with the spear. :D

Followers are an expendable commodity. Pick up a few more at the next opertunity. You'll be able to take more in your party as your fame increases. Don't go nuts though, the bigger your party the bigger the ambushes you attract when traveling.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 11:35:20 am »

Crossbowmen/marksdwarfs and archers are just as effective when they're on your side as when they are your enemies.

Get you some!
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress