Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Serious Fishing  (Read 694 times)

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Serious Fishing
« on: July 08, 2012, 01:07:41 am »

So how do you process one of those damn Giant sperm whales from a fish(mammal actually) to giant piles of meat?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Serious Fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 01:12:14 am »

Butcher shop, same as you would with real fish that are not vermin sized.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 02:57:01 am »

though how to kill them can be harder. Sphalerite had a fort dedicated to catching swimming animals, search for 'oceanshoots' in the dwarf mode discussion forum
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

peccan

• Bay Watcher
  • Ennen kuin pimeä tulee...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 03:09:19 am »

Do make sure you have a butcher workshop near the shore, otherwise you might find your hard-won whale rotting halfway there...

though how to kill them can be harder. Sphalerite had a fort dedicated to catching swimming animals, search for 'oceanshoots' in the dwarf mode discussion forum
Drainable artificial bay with conventional/Moses dam and patience would work right? And if it's gradually deeper towards the land (and part underground; really a diagonal tunnel) it would guide the catch towards, even into your fortress and into a slaughter pool filled with cage traps and right next to your fishery/butcher's shop/whatever is needed to make whale go chop-chop...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:29:30 am by peccan »

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:13:43 am »

I'm surprised the title for that fortress wasn't 'Mosesville' or something.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 11:33:45 am »

I'm pretty sure it was called 'Brightwater', actually... or that's the current incarnation of said sea-based fort...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 11:51:10 am »

oceanshoots was the one where he was trying to kill whales moby-dick style with harpoons (balista) and involved walkways all over the ocean to scare them to some traps and an 'aquarium' that I'm not going to try to copy
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.