Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to remove lakes from inside your fort?  (Read 390 times)

Sabboth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to remove lakes from inside your fort?
« on: July 08, 2012, 10:14:41 pm »

As I'm mining out my great hall I came across some damp stone. The area I chose was way to perfect to move so now I'm looking for ways to remove this odd shaped water filled blob wall from my fort. My plan was to build a channel above it, make a large room to funnel the water into then break the walls and have the dwarfs clean up the mud. Only problem is that would leave a entrance for invaders right into my fortress's belly.  Could I build a floor on the first level of the lake and keep them from getting in? Also can they even go 2 levels down through water? The water starts on the surface by the way. Thanks for any help!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove lakes from inside your fort?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 10:52:05 pm »

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're saying.
Do you mean that there's a murky pool you want to breach? Or that the pool is a z-level higher than where you want to dig?
If the latter, you can safely dig out the damp area; it's damp because of the water above it, but the water won't leak down unless you remove the ceiling.

James009

• Bay Watcher
  • Under centaur siege for going on three years now!
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove lakes from inside your fort?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 12:12:48 am »

I'd dig below it, clear a large enough cavern out, maybe set it up for fresh water wells and fishing, and then seal it up. Then poke a hole in your lake and you'll essentially drain it to another more manageable location. Never hurts to have more fishing and water opportunities.

But like Fuzzy said, if it's just damp then you may just be hitting a pool above you. Just be careful and don't flood your fort.
Recently slaughtered by the undead!