Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terrying Embark Tips  (Read 2586 times)

chronicpayne

• Bay Watcher
  • The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
    • View Profile
Terrying Embark Tips
« on: July 04, 2012, 03:52:55 am »

Looking for some, specificly in regards to managing your refuse stockpile.
Very early on in the embark had an incident with the first stockpiles garbage reanimating over and over. and over.

So, where and how do you best dispose of waste that will reanimate such as butchered items or dead dwarves?
No magma access yet so thats not an option, other than stationing units nearby and im curious what people have come up with,
especially seeing as how you want to store bones/etc for moods, no?

orfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrying Embark Tips
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 04:10:21 am »

You could atomsmash obviously, or use minecarts or garbage dumps to put it into a sealed off hole. I wouldn't worry too much about moods, if you get one demanding bone then just station military near them for the inevitable. I'm not sure which parts do / don't reanimate, so it might be possible to save actual bones by excluding them from the stockpile / minecart / dump orders.

If your terrifying embark covers multiple biomes then one might not be a reanimating one.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 06:30:01 am »

I've been under the impression that only grasping body parts and corpses/skeletons reanimate. Oh, and skins. Even if some other body parts do, already butchered bones, skulls, horns, ivory/teeth, and hair should be safe AFAIK, and get directed to a separate refuse stockpile, not your actual "to be destroyed/locked up" pile (which might also have corpses enabled). Skins you should either tan ASAP or dispose of, depending on if you want leather. So having materials for moods should definitely not be a problem, with the possible exception of leather, which you should probably buy anyway if you want decent amounts of it.

Oh, and in theory, there are some creatures (fire imps at least?) whose corpses etc. are magma-safe, so you'll need an atomsmasher or some chute with no way out for those. Building one that non-flyers can't get out of is trivial, just have no ramps/stairs out of a pit.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:15:30 pm »

I take advantage of the caverns and use an automated cart, with pressure plate operated bridges to function as an air lock. Each one is linked to a repeater which closes the bridge after the cart has been through. Of course I'm also enhancing it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 03:24:17 pm »

hair reanimates. And mussel shells
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 01:36:47 am »

If the reanimated stuff can't fly, I would suggest you just throw it down a deep hole. And empty it into the caverns if there's a forgotten beast down there.

I've never had the single tile hole fill up all that much though, my few attempts in terrifying biomes have ended too fast for that to happen, so I don't know how much of an FPS drop there would be despite the fact that none of the undead could path out of the pit and it's a single tile they're all in. As an additional advantage, it would also serve as a type of undead sneak pit to toss those Kobold Indiana Jones wannabes when you catch them.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 01:45:48 am »

Just tossing body parts into a rampless hole (preferably a fairly deep one) is a decent solution and easy to set up, but it should be a temporary one. Later, you should arrange a magma bath for the inhabitants of that pit, then let them path over a large number of traps to re-kill and incinerate them. Just magma won't kill undead, as heat kills by causing massive bleeding on all tissues but undead don't bleed to death, but flaming undead will usually become flaming corpses when re-killed, which quickly destroy themselves.

In the longer term, you should either dig a chute to the magma sea and dump refuse down it, or set up an atom smasher with a fairly fast repeat rate and throw refuse into it. Items are destroyed by either, so reanimatable body parts won't with such a setup.

Bones, that is not skeletal limbs or anything but items of the "bone" type, will not reanimate, so if you slaughter an animal, the only things that can reanimate from it are the skin and hair. Tan or dispose of these quickly (probably dispose, as it's faster) and you can keep the rest. Shells are more problematic, as fish shells will reanimate and are usually present in vast numbers if they are at all, so you're probably better off just letting any shell-requiring moody dwarves die.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 08:58:31 am »

Just tossing body parts into a rampless hole (preferably a fairly deep one) is a decent solution and easy to set up, but it should be a temporary one. Later, you should arrange a magma bath for the inhabitants of that pit, then let them path over a large number of traps to re-kill and incinerate them. Just magma won't kill undead, as heat kills by causing massive bleeding on all tissues but undead don't bleed to death, but flaming undead will usually become flaming corpses when re-killed, which quickly destroy themselves.

In the longer term, you should either dig a chute to the magma sea and dump refuse down it, or set up an atom smasher with a fairly fast repeat rate and throw refuse into it. Items are destroyed by either, so reanimatable body parts won't with such a setup.

I think you're over thinking the problem. Instead of separating the killing and melting phases, why not just combine them both if you're not willing to keep them around? Fill up a single tile pit with magma with a repeating spike trap in it.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 10:50:52 am »

If you're short enough on time and resources that you're resorting to dumping things into a pit instead of something more permanent, you're probably short enough on time and resources that setting up a magma-safe spike trap at the bottom of the pit is impractical or impossible.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 01:35:32 am »

Well yes, but I thought you've gone on to talk about how to deal with that stuff with a more permanent way.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 01:38:27 am »

Well yes, but I thought you've gone on to talk about how to deal with that stuff with a more permanent way.
Well yes, but that's later, when you're clearing out your temporary undead storage pit to retrofit it into something more permanent (or just for the sake of clearing it out).

James009

• Bay Watcher
  • Under centaur siege for going on three years now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 12:30:07 am »

I'm liking the Minecart dumping ideas. I'd also suggest, if nobody has before, assigning guard stations around those sites and possible sites for your Militia or Guard. I'd just assume doing that anyways for a Terrifying embark.

IDEA: Station archers around the dump sites and then maybe you can also use the re-animated garbage as target practice, lol.
Recently slaughtered by the undead!