Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not able to see value of items while trading  (Read 1246 times)

Ord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not able to see value of items while trading
« on: July 05, 2012, 01:07:52 pm »

When i trade at the trade depot ( yes theres a caravan there ) i can only see the weight but not the value.
How do i fix this?

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not able to see value of items while trading
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 01:13:45 pm »

This means your broker has no skill in Appraisal. It will fix itself. I started with one (or was it two?) points in Apprisal and could see the prices. Appraisal is rasied every time a caravan comes along and you open the trade for the first time. See: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Appraisal
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Ord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 01:15:28 pm »

This means your broker has no skill in Appraisal. It will fix itself. I started with one (or was it two?) points in Apprisal and could see the prices. Appraisal is rasied every time a caravan comes along and you open the trade for the first time. See: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Appraisal
heh...heh... Whoops just chose a random person for my broker... I derped
Yea i derped hard... i have a skilled appraiser :/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:18:08 pm by Ord »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 01:46:10 pm »

Also make sure that your broker has at least novice judge of intent, so you can track the trader's happiness and know when to stop pissing them off. I read somewhere that persuader helps as well, but I have no idea if it's more significant than the other social skills.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 01:59:09 pm »

funny thing is, the further I get into most forts the less I actually care about who trades or how big the profit is
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Omegameep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 06:50:56 pm »

A quick question is there any way to create appraisal skill in a broker or should I wait for migration waves for dwarfs with the appraisal skills?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 06:52:41 pm »

A quick question is there any way to create appraisal skill in a broker or should I wait for migration waves for dwarfs with the appraisal skills?
Your broker should get appraisal exp every time you trade.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 10:33:59 pm »

Your broker should get appraisal exp every time you trade.

Yup.  I recommend doing many small trades instead of one big one.  Your broker will skill up quickly in several skills if you do many small deals.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

orfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 04:34:51 am »

When you open the trade window for the first time per caravan the trader gains skill in appraisal depending on the number of items you are trading. So you traded a small number, and the resulting skill was not enough to get your items valued. Try waiting for more stuff to be delivered to the depot before starting the first trade.

When you actually perform trades, the trader gains social skills, but does not gain appraisal skill.

This, old, page talks about some of the experience values:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Experience

"The first time the trade button is used at a Depot for any single caravan, the dwarf who responded to do the trading immediately gains this amount, ≈7.5 experience x the number of items. No further experience can be gained in Appraisal for this caravan for this dwarf or any other"
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:38:53 am by orfax »

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:40:17 pm »

The Trading entry in the wiki also states this:
Each trade you make (regardless of value) will increase your broker's skills by 50, distributed among Comedian, Flatterer, Intimidator, Judge of Intent, Negotiator, and Persuader. Each skill seems to gain around 5-15 points, but the sum will always be 50. The skill gain occurs as soon as the "t" button is pressed - if the offer is rejected, the dwarf will still gain 50 points. If the same offer is subsequently accepted, no additional skill will be gained.

So, yes, repeated trading won't affect the Appraiser skill, but it will affect those six other skills.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 03:22:07 am »

Had one fort where a couple of dwarfs were constantly trading and then passing their new social skills on to the rest of the meeting hall/statue garden party. It was the most socially skilled group of dwarfs I ever saw. Also the laziest fort, but there was nothing to do anymore anyway.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 03:24:06 am »

Each trade you make (regardless of value) will increase your broker's skills by 50, distributed among Comedian, Flatterer, Intimidator, Judge of Intent, Negotiator, and Persuader. Each skill seems to gain around 5-15 points, but the sum will always be 50. The skill gain occurs as soon as the "t" button is pressed - if the offer is rejected, the dwarf will still gain 50 points. If the same offer is subsequently accepted, no additional skill will be gained.

So, yes, repeated trading won't affect the Appraiser skill, but it will affect those six other skills.

So if we just enter trading then leave it, then repeat x100 we will be able to get insant legendary comedians and such? Or do we actually have to make a deal?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 03:36:51 am »

So if we just enter trading then leave it, then repeat x100 we will be able to get insant legendary comedians and such? Or do we actually have to make a deal?

I think you have to make some kind of deal, just entering the trade page doesn't help. Spamming an unacceptable deal (after you finished regular trading and got everything you wanted) untill they get upset and leave probably doesn't work either.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 11:52:08 am »

As it says above, it increases the skills when you hit the "t" button, which means that you're trading something.  You'd need to do many trades, but they don't have to be of more than one item at a time, apparently.  Just make sure that the trader stays happy (gets good deals often enough) and you should be able to keep going until one of you runs out of things to trade.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 11:57:30 am »

if I read the page correctly, you get the points for a 'failed' trade, but then no more points untill you have a successful trade again