Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What is going on?  (Read 3782 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What is going on?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 02:10:00 pm »

Opening Post; OP.

Did that FB have toxic blood perhaps? What was it's "special danger" description? deadly blood, spittle, excretions, vapors, gas, and dust can all be mediums for toxins. With FB syndromes it's entirely possible the toxins enter the blood of the victims, making it spread the syndrome when the blood makes contact with skin or on consumption (Which is bad if it gets on your food.) Your animals have been bleeding EVERYWHERE. If they're sick with a blood-borne syndrome, there's not much you can do to stop it but begin scrubbign the halls like mad, and installing showers everywhere.

And did you ever get attacked by a titan as well? They are effectively identical to FB's.
I'd keep an eye on that puppy. Try locking it away. And clean your halls of all the blood.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:19:22 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 02:54:53 pm »

Opening Post; OP.

Did that FB have toxic blood perhaps? What was it's "special danger" description? deadly blood, spittle, excretions, vapors, gas, and dust can all be mediums for toxins. With FB syndromes it's entirely possible the toxins enter the blood of the victims, making it spread the syndrome when the blood makes contact with skin or on consumption (Which is bad if it gets on your food.) Your animals have been bleeding EVERYWHERE. If they're sick with a blood-borne syndrome, there's not much you can do to stop it but begin scrubbign the halls like mad, and installing showers everywhere.

And did you ever get attacked by a titan as well? They are effectively identical to FB's.
I'd keep an eye on that puppy. Try locking it away. And clean your halls of all the blood.

The FB that attacked me had a special danger description of some sort of toxic dust (he would send out dust much like a cave in). It killed my Armorsmith with that dust. But none of my soldiers who got hit were effected by it, well, other then being slammed into the wall from the impact (probably because of all the armor). Not the best fight ever but I only lost two military dwarfs and that one dumb armorsmith.

I'm going to chalk it up to the FB for now, and if anything else dies then the worry begins anew.

Also, the dog is completely unaffected by the extract.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 03:13:35 pm »

Didnt this happen to somebody else before?
Anyway, I am happy to know that if this ever happened to me I could just close the gates seperateing the inside of the fort.
As for a solution, dig out a room for...lets say 15 cats, lock each of them in a room ALONE and wait awhile.
If..lets say 6 out of the 15 explode at least you can look through "pure" blood and not the blood of 80 cats.
Thats just my 2 cents, I for one would be glad to lock them in a room with elfs and wait for the elfs to explode.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2012, 04:38:38 pm »

I thank you should use those cat in your next goblin seige and watch the goblins explode :P
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2012, 12:57:42 pm »

Every single cat in my fort is dead.

The dog still lives.

It was not the FB.

"edit"

First confirmed Dwarf death. Like with the animals, death is sudden with no warning.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 12:59:36 pm by GenJeFT »

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2012, 01:22:37 pm »

It's like watching this summer's disease-apocalypse blockbuster  :P

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 04:36:37 pm »

I would still bet it had to do with the FB.  If there was a syndrome-causing FB, the most likely solution is that it was the FB syndrome causing all the deaths.  I've found that, for whatever reason, cats seem to be particularly susceptible to syndromes.  Maybe because they wander around a lot more than dogs?  Who knows.  But I have a small puddle of FB extract in one corner of my fort, and cats seem to be able to walk through it with some regularity and wind up bleeding out some time later.  I've lost one or two dorfs to it, but so long as there is sufficient supply of shoes and socks, nobody gets it on their skin and they are safe. 
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 04:50:43 pm »

From my copy of someone's extracted world.dat raws, some beast syndrome effects have SIZE_DILUTES or/and SIZE_DELAYS. These tags will (respectively) reduce the severity of an effect and delay the effect based on either the amount of material the creature comes in contact with or the size of the creature, or both. According to the wiki this hasn't really been tested yet, or at least the tests can't be verified to be reliable and accurate, but if that information is at least partially correct, then it would imply that cats could be vastly more susceptable to a toxin, because of their small size, than other creatures would.

The cat may experience (far more severe) symptoms within a matter of days, but a dog could live months without feeling ill. Dwarves and anything bigger that could have been exposed would last even longer before succumbing. All depending on how the SIZE_DELAYS tag's hardcoded equation works. Hell, an elephant or larger may have a teeny-tiny chance to live long enough the effect ends and the survive, but may also go about their business for several years before showing symptoms.

[Edit:] I can confirm that the SIZE_DELAYS token works to some degree, as a creature of size 5,000 will be affected sooner than one of 500,000. I also did it with another of size 50,000,000, but I can't tell if there was a delay between it and the 500,000 group (I could try again with my FPS cap lowered, though. It's at 300 currently.) They also survived the syndrome.

Raws:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tiny horses will always die sooner than normal horses, which will always die sooner than giant horses (which will not die...) after being gassed by the titan I copied, unless the SIZE_DELAYS tag is removed. The syndrome was modified for the purpose of testing the SIZE_DELAYS tag, and the bleeding symptom was used.

Technically they'll still die (or not) in that order, but it's obvious they start bleeding at the same time. They just die in order of who has the most/least blood to lose.

Only really reliable method of delivery I found is a trailing vapor flow, so i can't guarantee that extract sample size from the gassing is the same, and thus I can't really test the SIZE_DILUTES token.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 05:58:56 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 10:12:56 pm »

Oddly enough, dwarfs have an above 90% survival rate. Several has suddenly started bleeding, get some bed rest, and keep working. So its not remotly as fatal for dwarfs as it is for the cats.

I dub this disease...

C1T1

The Dog is completely unaffected by the FB frozen extract. Some dogs have recently died to whatever this thing is, so its not the frozen extract.
Pages: 1 2 [3]