Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water and Titans  (Read 809 times)

gooberboy9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water and Titans
« on: July 06, 2012, 04:24:44 pm »

Two questions for my fellow dorfs.

1) Was browsing the wiki and saw that titans ignored traps.  Yet when I lowered my bridge to let one in it promptly got caged by the very first trap it stepped on, is this supposed to happen?

Side note: It didn't last very long after being tossed into a pit with a 3-Z level fall and confronting four of my legendary dorf warriors.  I was disappointed.  The goblins lasted longer.

2) I'm in a cold area, all my water is frozen.  This has had the side effect of making every injury a fatality because sick dwarves can't drink booze.  I'd like to know if there's a way to heat up the frozen river using a magma lake I found.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
Re: Water and Titans
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 04:56:12 pm »

Then I imagine Some titans/megabeasts are trapvoid, but apparently not all. Unless it was stunned or the cge was webbed, in which case  it would be caught regardless.

Ice can be melted by the movement of lava/magma nearby, but I'm not sure on the spesifics. However the best way to resolve this is to simply drain the water underground if/when it thaws. Water will not freeze or evaporate (except if it is 1/7 deep) underground.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 04:57:03 pm »

Two questions for my fellow dorfs.

1) Was browsing the wiki and saw that titans ignored traps.  Yet when I lowered my bridge to let one in it promptly got caged by the very first trap it stepped on, is this supposed to happen?

Side note: It didn't last very long after being tossed into a pit with a 3-Z level fall and confronting four of my legendary dorf warriors.  I was disappointed.  The goblins lasted longer.

2) I'm in a cold area, all my water is frozen.  This has had the side effect of making every injury a fatality because sick dwarves can't drink booze.  I'd like to know if there's a way to heat up the frozen river using a magma lake I found.
1) I have no idea...
2) Yes, it's possible! Just pump a bunch of magma to the surface and melt the ice (this worked in Syrupleaf at least) and you should have liquid water. But I don't know if you'd be able to make a sustainable source of it. I also don't know the best place to put the magma, but directly on top of the river should be fun.
My wooden badge was delicious.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 04:59:17 pm »

2) Fill a resevoir, breach the caverns, anything. Seriously, You have a lot of options. Running magma can be jury rigged using a pump-system without much difficulty.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 05:02:00 pm »

moving magma will melt ice one tile away so you need to have a reservoir of magma under the ice you want to melt. The magma cannot (I think) be static (all 4/7 or such) you need the moving depth numbers to keep the ice melted.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 05:06:29 pm »

2) Fill a resevoir, breach the caverns, anything. Seriously, You have a lot of options. Running magma can be jury rigged using a pump-system without much difficulty.
By the way, do nether-cap water-wheels get power from magma?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 05:10:25 pm »

It wasn't a titan. Was it a werecreature, Rok, Bronze Colossus, or Hydra? Titans are procedurally generated, similarly to forgotten beasts, so they'll have various wacky body types and compositions, but are all trap avoid and no stun.

Freezing biomes are ideal for me, since having dwarves stupidly run outside for a drink at first whim due to the 20 booze barrels are all being occupied makes me rage. Pumping from the caverns should be easy enough... much, much easier than melting a river with magma. If at first it doesn't seem like the first layer has water, explore around before going deeper. Sometimes it's on the edge or something.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 07:47:12 pm »

By the way, do nether-cap water-wheels get power from magma?
No, water wheels need flowing water. Magma =/= water.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 09:41:26 pm »

For your water in frozen lands issue, here is a novel solution:

1) Dig a cistern with an opening above ground, but not exposed to the sky (it must be listed as underground!)
2) Designate a dump side immediately adjacent to the opening
3) Designate large portions of ice to be dug out (I'd recommend using channel to keep the idiots dwarves away from anything that might be momentarily liquid and suddenly refreeze, encasing a dwarf in ice)
4) Designate all the resulting ice blocks for dumping
5) Revel in the 1/7 water each melted boulder of ice provides you

Here's what I'd recommend building, but other version may work better:

###.        # an undug wall
#_+.        _ channeled hole, with a natural roof overhead (cistern entrance)
###.        + a floor tile that is designated to be a dump site
            . outdoor floor, open to the sky

Because a z-level change without a ramp (and possibly with one) immediately next to a dump zone tells dwarves to dump stuff over the "cliff", this allows your dwarves to throw ice boulders into an underground space that will allow them to melt without having to worry about the ice melting before it gets to its destination.  Every seven ice boulders is one full tile of water. If your cistern is a 3x3 then you would need 3x3x7x2 = 126 boulders of ice to completely fill two levels (so the mud doesn't get into your bucket).

The obvious flaw to this plan is that stuff can get/fall/fly into your cistern, but it will provide you with drinkable water with little effort once the initial work is completed.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"