Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not making charcoal  (Read 1132 times)

Ord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves not making charcoal
« on: July 06, 2012, 04:40:12 pm »

I have wood in a pile on the surface and on dwarftherapist i have furnace operating activated on the dwarf too but yet he wont make the charcoal. what do i do?
Also a off topic question - i have badgers attacking my dwarves alot... how do i fix this without commanding my woodsman to snap their neck / cut off their head on each one?
Another off topic question - How do i check the wounds on dwarves / goblins / whatever i attack
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:45:31 pm by Ord »

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not making charcoal
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 04:45:59 pm »

you need a wood burner. then press q, move the cursor to the workshop, press a then c? or whatever the charcoal shortcut is...

Ord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 04:47:47 pm »

you need a wood burner. then press q, move the cursor to the workshop, press a then c? or whatever the charcoal shortcut is...
Haha thanks man im glad theres alot of helpful people on these forums and yes its c

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 05:13:17 pm »

I have wood in a pile on the surface and on dwarftherapist i have furnace operating activated on the dwarf too but yet he wont make the charcoal. what do i do?
Also a off topic question - i have badgers attacking my dwarves alot... how do i fix this without commanding my woodsman to snap their neck / cut off their head on each one?
Another off topic question - How do i check the wounds on dwarves / goblins / whatever i attack

If you have bones at your disposal and a spare dwarf or 2, you can ask a bone carver to carve bone bolts at a crafts dwarfs workshop, a boyer to craft bone crossbows at a boyers workshop, and a leather worker at a leatherworks to make quivers (from leather).  Then set one or more dwarves to hunt wildlife.

Make sure you have somebody to butcher the remains, tan the hides, and that you are only forbidding non hunted dead.

Ord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 05:32:01 pm »

-snip-
If you have bones at your disposal and a spare dwarf or 2, you can ask a bone carver to carve bone bolts at a crafts dwarfs workshop, a boyer to craft bone crossbows at a boyers workshop, and a leather worker at a leatherworks to make quivers (from leather).  Then set one or more dwarves to hunt wildlife.
Make sure you have somebody to butcher the remains, tan the hides, and that you are only forbidding non hunted dead.
Do skeletons work as bones? and how do i make sure that they butcher the corpses? ive been having alot of trouble with butchering stuff lately

Ord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 06:03:30 pm »

There we go plenty of bones

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 06:35:15 pm »

set some dwarf as chief medical dwarf, you'll get a health screen in the 'z' menu
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 06:49:19 pm »

-snip-
Do skeletons work as bones? and how do i make sure that they butcher the corpses? ive been having alot of trouble with butchering stuff lately

Should do as long as the dead isn't forbidden (check with d-b-c) and wasn't sentient.  So no animal men, goblins, orger's, ect.  Unless you fling them off a really high tower and have them explode into various gibs.  And then let all the flesh rot away.  Although it sounds like you have it under control anyway.

Also for viewing wounds you can also press v and w for wounds on anything still alive.  If whatever you want to look at is dead, it will show up as "upper body is gone" regardless of how the unit died.  There's no autopsy in dwarf fortress so you'll have to sift through the combat reports if you really want to know.

Ord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 07:40:42 pm »

Fortress died didnt make enough barrels for booze :|