Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: IIzTrollins list of questions  (Read 1445 times)

IIzTrollin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
IIzTrollins list of questions
« on: July 06, 2012, 06:20:58 am »

Im going start a list of questions either i find common or i have my self. ill post the answer once its answered all will be on this first thread. pics will be in spoilers if possible, and answers will be in red.

1.What the "other" in the status (Z) screen?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Prepared food and other "food" classified things (such as tallow) that don't fit nicely into the other categories.-i2amroy

2. What are the Red numbers in the stocks screen. (status (Z), stocks)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Forbidden or built things. For example if you had 20 weapons, 8 of which were in a weapon trap and 4 were forbidden then it would have a red 12. I believe that things owned by traders also fall into the red category.
-i2amroy

3. How do you get your dwarfs in the military to spare? is it when they are standing next to each other in a training area?
Dwarves that are set to train and have an available barracks will perform demonstrations as well as spar once they obtain some basic competency with weapon skills. This chance can also be maximized by having squad sizes of 2-3.-i2amroy

4. What are billion bars?
Billon (not "billion") is an alloy of copper and silver.  There is nothing particularly special about it.  In older versions you used to be able to use a single unit of tetrahedrite to smelt two billon bars (it would act as both the copper and the silver input), which made it a great value.  That was largely considered an exploit tho and has since been fixed - now it takes two units of tetrahedrite (one for the copper and one for the silver) and the value gain is 0.-Dwarfler

5. Is it true titans can step down one Z level or any mob(unit what ever you call them) without a ramp or staircase?

6. Reading the wiki said you can't raise or lower bridges on titans, does this include retracting?
bridges don't work if a large enough creature is on it.  This includes retracting-neckbeard

7. I just had a titan walk into my area and just leave, there was a goblin invasion which i wanted to see it battle any reason why they just leave? apparently it died from my one dwarf shooting it once it bleed out.

8. How do you train your dwarfs in Armor and Shield using? i read you have to set up pits with goblins/kobols in them but how do you get your dwarfs in the pits after words?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:16:13 am by IIzTrollin »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: IIzTrollins list of questions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 06:24:30 am »

1)Prepared food and other "food" classified things (such as tallow) that don't fit nicely into the other categories.
2)Forbidden or built things. For example if you had 20 weapons, 8 of which were in a weapon trap and 4 were forbidden then it would have a red 12. I believe that things owned by traders also fall into the red category.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 06:25:46 am »

Hey, I knew the answers to that too ;) I feel smart :D
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 06:37:15 am »

Dwarves that are set to train and have an available barracks will perform demonstrations as well as spar once they obtain some basic competency with weapon skills. This chance can also be maximized by having squad sizes of 2-3.

Also not to put a damper on anything, but generally the best places for questions like this is over on the DF Gameplay Questions Board. I believe you can move the post as the OP if you should choose to do so in the bottom left of the screen under "move topic".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

IIzTrollin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 06:38:53 am »

haha thanks, ive just posted my smaller questions here and it worked well i figured  id be better here so it doesnt get confused in teh adventure mode also

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 09:11:49 am »

4. What are billion bars?

Billon (not "billion") is an alloy of copper and silver.  There is nothing particularly special about it.  In older versions you used to be able to use a single unit of tetrahedrite to smelt two billon bars (it would act as both the copper and the silver input), which made it a great value.  That was largely considered an exploit tho and has since been fixed - now it takes two units of tetrahedrite (one for the copper and one for the silver) and the value gain is 0.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 09:59:34 am »

If you go into more the detailed stocks menu (tab), the 'red' items are split up in different colors again, blue when in a building (bed, trap, lever), red for melting come to my mind immediately. Iirc trader brought items are also red in that list.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 12:07:56 pm »

Trader owned. Trader brought have () around them.

6) Only if they can fly.

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 06:40:37 pm »

For question #5 (and maybe I'm misinterpreting this) but yea, any units (monsters, livestock, dwarves, hippies, arch-conservatives, ect.) can go up and down a z level as long as a valid path is available to it.  If you mean threw things like floor hatches and such, yes if they are unforbidden, or captured by invaders/hostile wildlife, and shouldn't be able to if they are forbidden without first destroying the hatches or whatever else.  Building destroyer's like Ogers and such can destroy doors, floor hatches, grates I beleive, don't know about floor bars but probably not.  For things like constructed floors being in the way, that should be no until a dwarf either deconstructs the floor, or some other construction falls threw and punches a hole in it.

For question #6, bridges don't work if a large enough creature is on it.  This includes retracting.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 06:50:07 pm »

note that titans arn't the only creatures that are too large for bridges
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.