Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Obsidian Casting  (Read 1747 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Obsidian Casting
« on: July 05, 2012, 11:58:45 pm »

I've seen it mentioned in a few places, and I understand the basic concept behind how it works, but I can't seem to get a reliable method working where I can have everything mined out without frying some of my dwarves...

Basically, I just want a small simple one to construct... I've looked around but haven't been able to find a good explanation on how to build one. Can anyone help out :)
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Casting
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 12:02:46 am »

room with lever attached to magma, and a magma proof door, lock it, pull lever, flood room

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 01:08:22 am »

The foolproof method I use is as follows:

Have a room multi z-levels deep where the obsidian will be casted. Have a pump which pumps magma directly into the bottom floor (not even through a fortification or floodgate, just, pump: room. To fill the room with magma, just have a dwarf pump, and to stop filling, just stop pumping).
Have a retracting bridge floor on room 1. Have a water input blocked by a raising bridge. Both bridges should be linked to the same lever. The water supply can be always-on (for example draining from a river above) but make sure to use a diagonal connection to cut off pressure so the water will only fill the room.

Procedure: Pump magma into bottom floor until it is covered. Stop the pump.
Then pull the lever, opening the bridge-ceiling and dumping the water onto the magma. It will instantly and cleanly form obsidian, while the raising bridge will simultaneously close preventing any water "dribbling" in.
Once you've mined out the obsidian, just pull the lever again to start the water re-filling, and pump more magma in. Rinse and repeat.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 03:11:44 am »

Thanks...

I'm using pumps for both the magma and the water, taking the water from caverns, and the magma is on the same level as the water. I've just got it 2 z levels above at the moment... I'll try setting it up like you say, and get back and post results :)
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together