Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on building walls in the new version  (Read 1254 times)

Thorzog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question on building walls in the new version
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:54:47 pm »

I've skipped a couple of versions and just got back in the game with version 34.11. I've had a couple of forts and I've been having fun with the minecarts but I noticed something strange with how dwarves build walls next to ledges. For some reason they keep canceling the construction because a creature is in the way, the creature being the dwarf trying to construct the wall. I've only seen this when building walls next to a z-level rise or fall and I'm pretty sure it's a new feature. Has anyone found a workaround for this yet?

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: Question on building walls in the new version
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:01:22 pm »

Yeah that happened to me several times in 34.11. Just cancel the construction and create a new one in its place. That usually works.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:24:05 pm »

If there is a ramp in the designated tile, you might need to remove it.  I've also had luck with letting them finish surrounding constructions first, then cancel and redesignate the one he keeps standing on.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

donald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:27:06 pm »

Ive found sometimes if you cancel the wall and rebuild with the same material, it will continue to fail, but designate a new construction material and youre back in business.

If all else fails, you can construct a fortification instead.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:24:48 am »

What may help you is after designating a line of wall to be built to designate the wall tiles as a low traffic area (d-o). That should motivate the dwarves not to stand on the wall tiles they are building obstructing their own construction site.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Thorzog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 08:59:39 pm »

Thanks for the info. I ended up removing the ramps, setting where I was building to low traffic.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 09:11:21 pm »

If you don't want to remove the ramps for whatever reason, you can place a grate over them and then designate the wall.

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 11:53:45 am »

The trouble i seem to be having with this is if the material is on the same square as the wall. The workaround that now works for me is to cancel the construction, and then use the material that is not first on the list. If you really want that certain type of stone or whatever, use 'x' to expand the entries and select the one that is not in the same tile, e.g. it does not have a 0 next to it.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 02:52:45 pm »

Heh, those are better solutions than mine. I just channeled out underneath where the wall would go so the little bastards couldn't stand there.