Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dungeon Master (Byond)  (Read 947 times)

Abscondcrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident extremely sexy person.
    • View Profile
Dungeon Master (Byond)
« on: July 03, 2012, 03:15:09 pm »

Yes, I know there was another thread on this game, but I didn't feel like sifting through all the moaning about how it is a (apparently bad) df clone. I enjoy dungeon master, and if you don't, well that's your thing. Just don't post here if you don't like it.

Now that I have that out of the way, onto light hearted stuff!
So what is dungeon master? It's basically a game on byond where you get a "units", usually about three, who have to eat, sleep, live and just basically survive in a fairly harsh world which gets more dangerous as the game progresses.
It really is alot like dwarf fortress, it's just that you don't control your units by giving designations, instead you give direct orders. Usually you'll end up controlling one at a time, as it is more easy, but you don't have to.
There used to be lots of roleplay servers around, but nowadays it's just non-rp. There are still some roleplayers there anyway though (such as myself) so that's still good.

In my opinion, the biggest downfall is that it's much easier to do well in DM if the players work together, but they never do. They usually end up going off on their own and building in someplace secluded because there are quite a few experienced players who like bash the crap out of people who don't know what they're doing.. And no one knows who those people, for some damn reason.

Here's where my idea comes in! Why don't we (The dwarf fortress community) go onto a DM server and start our own group? We don't even have to all be the same race. Though IF you guys want to roleplay, then we'd have to find an ig reason to. Shouldn't be too hard.

An idea I've had is the following: Lizardmen are one of the races capable of extracting poison, but they have to hunt and kill poisoness creatures to get it. So why not do this? One of us plays lizardmen (or one of the other poison using races) and the other player plays a spider. Player of mrs. Spider is allowed to live in a room in mr. lizards city/house/cave, and is given "something" periodically to eat, or perhaps even lizards to kill and eat. In exchange, mrs. spider breeds more spiders, which the lizards would then kill and/or use in battle. If killed you get their venom and some pretty good armor-making material. If you use them to fight.. Well, you're allied to a freaking giant spider!!
I have other idea's as well, that's just my favourite. After all, IF I'm lucky, more than one person will want to do this. Maybe we could end up building an actualy "Dwarf fortress" eh?
Please tell me someone's interested. Please. Please?
That's what I think, anyway.

assasinwar9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Master (Byond)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 02:49:26 pm »

i usually play lizard men anyway so why not :) i even have the source code and know how to tweak with it lol
immortal is never dieing so that sucks lol

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 01:03:26 am »

I tried hosting (successfully did) this awhile back for friends and such, but the no saving kind of killed it when I'd want to take down the server temp. I'd be thankful if someone knew how to make the game properly save like the awesome build number that I can't quite remember (had random world gen and such.)
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 03:58:45 am »

i have never before heard of this game. please explain.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal