Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some help updating  (Read 643 times)

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
Some help updating
« on: July 06, 2012, 03:06:47 am »

Ok, here's the situation. I'm trying to get back into DF, I left about the time vampires and all that jazz were being introduced. Has there been any major changes to gameplay which I should be aware of?

Example being, when the pots were introduced. That was a biggie.

So, any help would appreciated.
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Some help updating
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 04:05:24 am »

Hauling rewrite, minecarts, rock drop rate, and setting stockpiles to be able to give to workshops. Basically the most important things are the minecarts/wheelbarrows (Dwarves haul heavy things much slower now, so they need to use wheelbarrows to help them. Also you can now carve mine cart tracks and use them as well), rock drop rate (all rocks now drop at a 25% rate regardless of miner skill level, though some gems still drop at 100%. To counteract this all ores now give 4x the bars per ore), and the hauling rewrite (dwarves will now carry bins/barrels/bags to the object that they wish to pick up, allowing them to pick up several at a time. This does have some downsides with seeds and other things where due to the dwarf picking up the barrel other dwarves will get cancellation messages if they can't access it).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 04:37:17 am »

Wow, those are... neat. So my floors will not stay cluttered stone-covered messes anymore?

I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 04:41:03 am »

Wow, those are... neat. So my floors will not stay cluttered stone-covered messes anymore?

Nope.

Unfortunately, it's now incredible difficult to obtain the massive quantities of marble I usually need for my average fort.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 05:05:17 am »

Yeah, it's much harder to just mass stone crafts now, though making mugs make up for it. The fact that you can get 4 blocks out of each piece of stone really does help building, though it sort of forces you to make things with blocks and leaves you a little more at the mercy of the RNG.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 05:20:26 am »

Oh good grief, we have to use block-creation now? Curses, that's gonna be annoying to adapt to. All my edifices shall be slightly stunted, and my swarms of stone junk shall be not so easy to offload onto elves. Oh, for the days of trading away useless microcline for useless sacks of seeds.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 06:51:04 am »

Meh, since obsidian never ends I'm no longer bothered.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 08:56:03 pm »

Here's my ultra-concise but leaves a lot out list of recent changes: many bugfixes, some new bugs, some basic improvements, animal domestication redone/improved, wheelbarrows and minecarts added, many hauling improvements, traps now block trade caravans, item weight now affects hauling speed (use minecarts/wheelbarrows for heavy items), falling damage changed (falls are less hazardous, while items dropped on creatures became more dangerous), workshops can be linked to stockpiles, and stones and ores now drop 25% of the time (instead of being based on miner skill) but stones and ores now produce x4 blocks and bars, respectively, to make up for that (bituminous coal and lignite also produce more coke).  Also, adult dwarves now require new(ish) upper- and lower-body clothing plus footwear or they start getting bad thoughts, so don't neglect your clothing industry.

For details check out the wiki's Release information article, which includes links for each release to lists of bugfixes, tweaks, and new features given by Toady One and his comments from the dev log and the forums.  It's concise and fairly complete.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.