Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bouts of extreme luck.  (Read 3084 times)

Jahsg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bouts of extreme luck.
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 02:16:32 pm »

I've often wondered ... is it seven dwarves al a the Brothers Grimm, or is it seven dwarves al a Tolkien?

No.... its seven dwarves al a Toady

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 05:50:37 pm »

I've often wondered ... is it seven dwarves al a the Brothers Grimm, or is it seven dwarves al a Tolkien?

No.... its seven dwarves al a Toady
Oh, most definitely. :D  I just wondered which influenced him, or which influenced him more, since I can see at least a bit of each in DF.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 06:32:46 pm »

Tolkien must have read Grimm, he was a professor of English philology. And he read a lot of various epics, sagas, tales, etc.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 04:31:07 am »

I'm sure he did, but the companions of Thorin Oakenshield numbered one dozen, him being the thirteenth, which prompted them to seek a skilled burglar.

So its a Grimm Brothers joke.

:-\ (this is my disappointed face)

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 04:45:12 am »

Actually, in Tolkien, there were seven Dwarf Lords who each received a ring off of Sauron.

This is, I feel, even more depressing than the Grimms' dwarfs, so I think it's a reference to that.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 06:48:43 am »

Well, that is true, but those were  kings, even specifically "in their halls of stone," not an exploratory mission.

I still think its a Snow White gag. One as simple as "how many dwarves should there be? You'd need...5? Oh, haha, no, seven, duh."

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 11:22:25 am »

Yeah, the Seven Fathers of the Dwarves in Tolkien's work is what I was thinking off, not Thorin's band.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 01:36:54 pm »

Ok this may be a little nitpicky, but there is only one Father of the Dwarves. Seven Lords of seven holds, eventually, but all were Durin's children.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 02:57:35 pm »

Ok this may be a little nitpicky, but there is only one Father of the Dwarves. Seven Lords of seven holds, eventually, but all were Durin's children.
Durin was but one of the Seven Fathers.  The first dwarves, crafted by one of the Valar.  I can't remember the name, and can't find my copy of the Silmarillion at the moment (and I fear waking the wife looking for it).

[edit] Aulė was the Valar that made the dwarves.  Found his name in The Book of Lost Tales that wasn't up near the sleeping wife.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:02:51 pm by krenshala »
Pages: 1 [2]