Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about late game lag in 0.34.11  (Read 610 times)

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions about late game lag in 0.34.11
« on: July 07, 2012, 03:37:03 pm »

Does map size have an effect on lag? In other words if I embark on at 2x2 plot on a small map or a large map is there any difference? I prefer large maps because it's easier to find what I want out of the starting area.

Thanks

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about late game lag in 0.34.11
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 03:39:08 pm »

Map size is one of the potentially largest things to effect FPS short of the number of dwarves you have and moving liquids. Basically the larger your map is the more work the pathfinding algorithms need to perform and the less FPS you will have. Unless you are doing something like moving massive amounts of liquids or have many more dwarves, a smaller map will almost always have a higher FPS then a larger one.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 03:50:23 pm »

Map size is one of the potentially largest things to effect FPS short of the number of dwarves you have and moving liquids. Basically the larger your map is the more work the pathfinding algorithms need to perform and the less FPS you will have. Unless you are doing something like moving massive amounts of liquids or have many more dwarves, a smaller map will almost always have a higher FPS then a larger one.

if you read again, you'll see the embark is 2x2. The question is wether the genned world contributes to fps problems if it is larger. I'm pretty sure the answer is no, because the outside world is frozen. Except for deciding which FB, titan or animal will enter the map next, large maps probably have a wider selection of titans and FB, megabeasts etc, otherwise it should not matter at all.

Most late game lag/fps issues are due to pathing from too many animals and dwarfs and too many items
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 08:22:40 pm »

Ah, my bad. I saw small map and large map and didn't quite put it together right.

In that case, no, it will not affect FPS at all, though larger worlds will take slightly longer anytime you save or load a save then smaller ones.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 09:45:39 pm »

Thanksfor the help!

James009

• Bay Watcher
  • Under centaur siege for going on three years now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 12:26:09 am »

I'm assuming large world map sizes increase savegame data and filesize.

A larger file = more lag in lategame, eventually?

Though I really doubt it really has any effect on running processes, just saving and loading and such.
Recently slaughtered by the undead!