Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baron appointed, never showed up  (Read 411 times)

Skullkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Baron appointed, never showed up
« on: July 03, 2012, 07:27:24 pm »

As soon as the liaison asked me to name someone as baron, I did. And he never showed up on the nobles screen or anything related to this. I have 250 dwarves and 2 500 000 wealth (thanks partially to a 650 000 artifact), this is getting ridiculous. I don't know, maybe I should dig into HFS so that the next time the liaison comes they are greeted at the entrance by a billion of bloodthirsty demons ? THAT'LL TEACH THEM !

Seriously now, any thoughts ?

Ridiculous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baron appointed, never showed up
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:10:14 pm »

Did the meeting with the outpost liaison finish correctly?
In my current fort, I got the screen where you nominate a Baron, so I did. However, nothing happened, and shortly afterwards I got the 'The diplomat left unhappy' message. Two years later the liaison arrived again, and we went through the entire thing once more, and everything worked out correctly. I assume the Baron is only appointed if the meeting is finished properly.

Skullkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 08:25:36 pm »

Well, i didn't get the message about the diplomat leaving unhappy,  although the fact that my mayor was a vampire at the time, that he was chained most of the time (three murders, you see) the meeting was happening and that I had him hammered to death once the diplomat left may had something to do with it...

If it had, then there is a brand new bug. The liaison showed up at least three times since the baron was appointed, leaving happy all of the time, still no baron in the nobles screen.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 10:35:04 pm »

The baron doesn't get appointed until the liaison successfully leaves the map - is your liaison still inside your fortress somewhere?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 08:52:36 am »

In each of my last two forts I nominated a baron.

In the first one he showed up alright or his patent of nobility/whatever did, the available titles had changed from exp leader to major, and some new job descriptions had entered, like champion or such. But the baron soon got himself killed during a siege. And from then on, no more nobles. My major was demoted, when the whole fortress eventually died there were some 250 inhabitants, all ruled by my good old expedition leader. In the n-screen only the initial titles were available, no champs, no barons, no major.

In my last fort basically the same happened, except that this time there was no baron at all. I nominated one, but the papers never showed up. This is possibly explained by the liason getting killed or unhappy.

Perhaps the first case can be explained by a combination of succesful liason, followed by tragic death of baron, in conjunction with subsequent tragic unfulfillment of the liason officers expectations. This fort lasted until it housed around 220 inhabitants.

In older forts I have had all kinds of assholes nobles doing nothing but spreading mischief, so at first I thought it was a blessing. Now, somehow I miss the extra challenge of keeping them happy.

I believe it is a bug, or at least unintentional. Sorry I cannot be more specific.
DF: where imagination beats animation