Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ?Science? - D for Dwarf  (Read 1954 times)

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
?Science? - D for Dwarf
« on: July 01, 2012, 06:10:53 pm »

The physicist Erwin Schrödinger created  a cat that is neither alive nor dead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It started really just as a thought experiment," says a shaken Erwin Schrödinger about the experiment that went terribly wrong.

"It was not supposed to create a monster. I just wanted to demonstrate that Niels Bohr's Copenhagen interpretation of quantum physics was contradictory," explains Schrödinger about the experiment, where he placed a cat in a closed box with an atomic nucleus, a Geiger counter and a bottle of cyanidgas that was only triggered by the decay of the atomic nucleus.

Caught in the unstable state between life and death
According to Niels Bohr's interpretation of quantum physics the cat would be in a paradoxical unstable condition in which it was neither alive nor dead. The cat would first end up as either alive or dead when you opened the box and looked.

"So I put it in the box here and started the experiment," says a shocked Schrödinger and points to a metal box that is smashed beyond recognition - ripped apart by small but inhumanly powerful cats claws.

"But before I reach to open the box, I hear a sinister snarl. The moment after the cat has fought himself free and stares at me with its dead, glassy eyes, while its swollen and already rotting cats tongue hangs out of its mouth," he says, and shudders at the memory.

For instead of being either dead or alive the cat was caught in a monstrous intermediate state, which no one had anticipated: Alive and yet at the same time dead.

Haunting theoretical physicists
The creepy cat escaped the lab shortly after the experiment and has since been observed in several backyards and allotments where it performs the macabre show of assaulting and eating parts of other cats and thereby creates more quantum monsters.

In several cases, large flocks of Schrödinger's cat zombies has haunted theoretical physicists. In these cases they sit outside the scientists' work rooms and scrape the windows with their rotting paws, while they send blank stares and threatening purrs to the physicists and their article collections. Not as a subtle thought experiment, but as a creepy undead.

Several physicists are now considering to barricade themselves in an abandoned house, where they will fight the zombie cats with sawn-off shotguns, chainsaws and incredibly complex mathematics.

Source: http://rokokoposten.dk/2012/06/02/gal-videnskabsmand-skaber-zombiekat/

My question is now: Does this experiment prove or disprove the Copenhagen Interpretation?
DF: where imagination beats animation

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ?Science? - D for Dwarf
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 06:14:00 pm »

DEAR MOTHER OF GOD. You can atleast let us know that was going to be a picture of a tortured cat!

Okay, thats a creepy article...

-Edit-

WHEN was this again?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:48:31 pm by Corai »
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 06:21:50 pm »

WTF???

And I thought I was weird...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 06:36:48 pm »

So basically... A zombie Catpocalypse. Grimdark Indeed.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 06:43:05 pm »

It has no relation to quantum physics, but represents a big advance in zombology.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 11:55:11 am »

A bunch of scientists barricaded in a room full of weapons... With mathematics.

I like where this is going.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:18:53 pm »

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 12:40:18 pm »

Hey, at least we'll get rid of the orphan problem.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 03:55:09 pm »

That was a disturbing read...

And there has been lots of reviving and coming back to life in the news in the past few months, I suggest you guys hold your survivor kits close by.