Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Royals - 1Bit "Optimistic Peasant Simulator"  (Read 3600 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Royals - 1Bit "Optimistic Peasant Simulator"
« on: October 19, 2015, 01:31:16 pm »

Ever had that moment, that moment of old, where your digging through your past gaming. A time long gone. Oh I am talking to the 25yr+ Gamers. You know what I am talking about. Them old floppies and such stashed away in some forgotten drawer containing tons of games that were handed around or perhaps bought many many years ago with that pocket change you been saving up. Only to be forgotten cause you couldn't understand it cause of youth or such. And now you find it only to discover that all that you have is the floppy itself and no manual and the internet can't help you cause it wasn't really around back then...

Royals is that, a game which has no true instruction...
http://ashervo.itch.io/royals

Anyway, Royals is a "Pay what you want" indie game, this includes free, but from the short time of playing it I feel its worth maybe a couple of bucks or so. It is as it sounds though, a 1bit 3/4 floppy disc game of the mid 90s, minimal graphics and sounds. Simple controls and idea. In the game you play as a Peasant who dreams a greater dream. To become a Royal member of the world and run a kingdom, but all you start with is a simple plot of land with no resources or followers, barely any prowess or charm to you either. And with that you go out and build your kingdom from what you can muster before running out of life. As each turn is one year and each year leads closer to death...

I say try it out, don't think just do, if you like it support it. But still........ HELP ME OUT! I KEEP DYING!!! :P
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Royals - 1Bit "Optimistic Peasant Simulator"
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 03:42:24 pm »

There we go... I became King...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 01:57:10 pm »

I liked this game, was fun, reminded me of...What was that old game called, Hidden Agenda? Where you're trying to govern a newly-established South American republic.

Victory theme.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 02:46:37 pm »

I must try this!
..when I get home.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 12:44:29 pm »

I suck at this. After many failures I figured out you want to either focus on strength or charisma. I ended up with a manor (which drains strength instead of charisma) and 4 followers + an owned market, an inn, 2 mines, and a farm plot. My charisma was.. 7? I think? Anyway I got all of it by meditating on a mountain while my family peasants worked the land. Then I got too old and had to rest all the time. I had a bunch of money, enough to bribe every soldier away. Then I built a castle and managed to survive that ordeal with bribing.

I don't understand the 25 holding requirement to charm the land though. Granted I didn't have enough charisma to do it anyway, every time I built a new holding and sent someone in it showed a +house symbol but my total never exceeded 20. What's up with that?

EDIT: nevermind I figured it out
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 04:12:29 pm by debvon »

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 01:38:58 pm »

This is extremely well executed.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 04:16:40 pm »

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 04:29:15 pm »

Pftt, plebs. I won easily with cheat engine.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 08:52:53 pm »

High score? :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 09:58:30 pm »

This game is very easy to snowball once you can identify key locations (Market for gold farming, and Drinking for fame). Then you'll easily Borg everyone, though of course you'll want to target the manor first to get that pesky health problem over with.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 12:30:53 pm »

I feel like "porting" this game over to Android now since it's so simple. Will probably change my mind once I start work :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.