Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Messy Dwarves  (Read 780 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Messy Dwarves
« on: July 01, 2012, 05:36:37 am »

Seriously, these guys keep their fortress worse than I keep my bedroom. There'll be rotting food lying on the ground, causing miasma, and my lazy haulers, instead of doing something about it, will just sit there and complain about having no job. Is this a common problem? I don't think I need too many bad thoughts right now
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Messy Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 05:53:17 am »

Check if there's enough storage space available. If not then the food starts to rot.

And, give each dwarf messi at least 2 cabinets.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 06:07:29 am »

well, there's enough space in the refuse pile. It's not just food... vermin remains, goblin corpses (they'd rather remove the bolts one by one than the rotting bodies)
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 06:46:52 am »

Is the path to your refuse stockpile still viable?
Are the dwarves confined to a burrow?
Do they have their haul refuse labors enabled?
Maybe you have accicdently changed the gathering orders? (o menu)

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 08:08:04 am »

Have you checked gathering orders for refuse? The default option is to ignore remains, and gather only remains from tiles marked as "Inside". Anything outside marked for dumping, which would include vermin remains, goblin corpses and rotting food, will thus be ignored by default.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 08:17:32 am »

I'll play around and see if i've missed anything... I mean, the rotting corpses are because they decide to prioritise refuse hauling lower than stone

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 08:19:05 am »

Is the food owned?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 11:57:39 am »

If the food rots and is owned, it won't be cleaned up until the ownership clears. If the food is on the floor of a room not owned by the dwarf, the ownership tag will be cleared after a while. The main question is whether it clears soon enough...

Normally owned food rotting results either from a dwarf getting a strange mood whilst eating or getting something to eat, or from food assigned to the military.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.