Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Flux stone in any of my maps  (Read 1925 times)

Haigen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Flux stone in any of my maps
« on: February 08, 2013, 03:00:08 am »

I've made like 4 maps now (fresh install btw) and all of them have no flux stone when I do the scan. I have minerals set to be everywere, but I find nothing, something im doing wrong? Or that I dont know? Thanks.

My parameters go:

Deep Metal: yes
Shallow Metal: yes
Clay: yes
Deep Soil: yes
Aquifer: no
Flux Stone: yes

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
Re: No Flux stone in any of my maps
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 03:01:41 am »

Set minerals to be less than everywhere.
Minerals == gems != FLUX
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Haigen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:03:42 am »

First of all thanks for the quick reply. So I should have minerals set to Frequent or sparse or what? and then flux should pop up?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 03:59:27 am »

The embark screen is notoriously inaccurate when searching for flux. Even if there's indeed no regular flux layers, there's probably enough marble deeper underground.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Desgeretjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 06:50:26 am »

^This

I recall once embarked 2x2 map that the embark said there were no flux.
Prospector found >20k limestone.

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 08:44:02 am »

It's a display bug, as far as I can tell. If you pick the maximum setting for minerals doing worldgen, the site finder will not be able to find flux anywhere...even if it is there. The main workaround is of course to generate with fewer minerals, but since the stuff is usually very easy to find if the map has it at all, you can just keep retrying...make the first thing you do an exploratory mineshaft and you'll find out what your sedimentary and metamorphic layers contain within a minute or two. If it's neither sedimentary flux nor marble...just try again elsewhere, since you've only wasted about five minutes.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 11:56:17 am »

Set minerals to be less than everywhere.
Minerals == gems != FLUX
Even if your world generates large clusters in every local tile of every level of every embark, layer stone will still be plentiful enough. Flux appears as whole layers except for calcite, which is found in marble and limestone (both of which are layer stones).

The game needs to have a substrate so that it knows which gems and mineral to place, and flux is part of this substrate.

iirc, you can check for the presence of flux manually by checking the Stones menu once you embark. Any layer stones you have are automatically enabled, even if they're economic.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 06:27:23 pm »

As others have mentioned the site finder bugs out if you have minerals scarcity set too low and can't find flux even though it's there. If you really need it I suggest that you search for sites without any flux preferences and then use DFHack's "prospect all" command to see if there is actually flux present on that site prior to embark.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 11:03:46 pm »

I don't think I've ever had a map that didn't have a couple layers of marble.  And yet almost none of them say "Flux Stone" on the site selection screen.  Just start the map and see what you get.  It's more fun that way anyhow.