Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tile Dimensions  (Read 714 times)

Sig Tau Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tile Dimensions
« on: July 03, 2012, 11:26:33 am »

I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for a few years now and the one thing that has always bothered me is the tile dimensions. My OCD kicks in everytime I try to make a square. Is there a way to change the dimensions without having to get a new skin?
Back in my day our games were so cool they didn't have pictures. It was all text based...Imagine its like a text message and you have to text what you are doing before the other person or you died...

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Tile Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 12:28:31 pm »

Change the monitor resolution to widescreen, so it stretches the image? Alternately, there are tile sets available that still use the letters and symbols, but are square.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 12:47:18 pm »

DF comes with a square tileset, I think it's called Curses 16x16.

Sig Tau Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 07:48:34 pm »

Change the monitor resolution to widescreen, so it stretches the image? Alternately, there are tile sets available that still use the letters and symbols, but are square.
How do I do I do the widescreen thing, I'm not the best with computers. I've tried the tiles sets on the newb pack but I really don't care for those.
Back in my day our games were so cool they didn't have pictures. It was all text based...Imagine its like a text message and you have to text what you are doing before the other person or you died...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 08:25:18 pm »

The easiest way to get a true square tile set is to go into the data/init.txt file, scroll down to where is says [FONT:curses_640x300.png], and change it to [FONT:curses_square_16x16]. Nothing else is required and it should still have the default tile set, just squarer.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sig Tau Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 05:45:52 pm »

The easiest way to get a true square tile set is to go into the data/init.txt file, scroll down to where is says [FONT:curses_640x300.png], and change it to [FONT:curses_square_16x16]. Nothing else is required and it should still have the default tile set, just squarer.
Thank you, It worked! :D