Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: food questions  (Read 400 times)

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
food questions
« on: June 27, 2012, 10:31:55 am »

I had a food crisis in my fort recently (due to bad planning on my part, should have brought more food at embark) but some delicious cat biscuits were served and the crisis was averted. A few things about eggs I was wondering about.
1) eggs cannot be eaten raw normally? but can by a starving dwarf hunting for vermin?
2) are eggs liquid or solid? Ie can I have an egg roast made of nothing but eggs?
3) if the only food available is a single stack of 14 turkey eggs, can I use it to make 7 turkey egg biscuits or do I need two stacks of ingredients to start cooking?
Thanks
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: food questions
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:04:39 pm »

eggs count as solid and the cook needs 2 stacks of anything for biscuits
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 01:53:51 pm »

If there are traders, you could split the egg stack if you really needed to. Probably only worth it for a big batch of cave croc eggs though.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 04:08:21 pm »

thanks for the quick replies
I checked and none of my hungry dwarfs ate any of the raw eggs, the cook had claimed them in the kitchen but because it was only one stack he couldn't do anything with them.

One more question on the egg layers, do birds crosspolinate? I have a breeding pair of turkeys and a single hen and a female duck, the turkey hen lays eggs as she should but so do the hen and the duck, I don't think either of them have appeared in the wild on my map and the traders only brought the single hen and no other birds, so I'm fairly sure no rooster or male duck was ever on my map. Could they have arrived pregnant?
Oh, and incest is not an issue for DF livestock, is it? Once the offspring is born I can slaughter the parents and breed the next generation from the siblings.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 04:29:08 pm »

sorry for laughing at you, but you must have grown up in a city. Many birds simply lay eggs when it's their time, especially domesticated birds who do so rather more frequent than wild ones. Wether they hatch depends on wether they were fertilized. So yes, you'll get chicken eggs, and duck eggs, but untill you get a rooster and a drake, they won't ever hatch.

Oh and if you're cooking, my advice is to make a seperate stockpile just for meals that doesn't allow barrels and disable meals everywhere else. Otherwise you tend to need a lot more barrels than fun and it's a hassle with trading.

When trading meals, first trade the cheaper MW. Once a couple of dozens of MW meals have gone, you can smash cheap meals to limit the no. of items. Once you get to butchering lots of animals (siege) or your farms start overproducing, you'll be making more meals than you'll know what to do with.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 05:23:21 am »

I did grow up in a city but I now that real life hens lie eggs whether there is a rooster around or not but only if a rooster is there the eggs will be fertilized and hatch into chicks. I just don't know whether DF was that detailed.
Currently the turkey hen, the hen and the duck are all sitting on their nest boxes tried to make their eggs hatch. So you are saying that while the turkey eggs will hatch eventually the hen and the duck will sit there forever if they are not disturbed?
from Sphalerite

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 05:27:49 am »

yes, they'll sit there forever. eggs in nest boxes don't rot either afaik, so it'll literally be forever

and yes, DF is that detailed. I can name some more things about how detailed, but it's more fun for you to find out by yourself and have "Oh man, is the game that detailed" moments  ;)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 08:30:43 am »

If eggs don't hatch within about 3 months of game time, then they never will -- so you can unlock that door and collect those eggs, and try again.  Even if an appropriate male bird is present on the map, some clutches of eggs are still unfertilized.  (No, I don't know the odds.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz